Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
imabirdnut

New Meadow & Seeds to Share!!!

imabirdnut
11 years ago

I have tons of white larkspur seeds as well as purple if anyone wants some.

{{gwi:470860}}

Here is a picture of my meadow that I let go natural this year...I will also have lots of horsemint or native beebalm as well as Indian Blanket seeds if anyone wants any.

{{gwi:470861}}

I have tons of mixed mostly red poppy seeds but I know they aren't native & neither are the larkspur...I just like them! & the bees are nuts about them!!!

{{gwi:470862}}

I have been collecting our native spider milkweed pods as well...if anyone wants any...it is A.asperula. It is perennial & is the first to bloom locally. We also have A.viridis but the seed pods aren't ripe yet.

I have Showy growing in my new BF garden bed but it's one flower so far didn't make pods! ;o( It is more invasive like common but I don't mind...it is in a bed that I only hand water so it works well in drought conditions!

My new meadow has been a real BF draw in my yard this spring!!!

Just email me if you are interested!

Lila aka 'imabirdnut'

Comments (14)

• nance
    11 years ago

Hi Lila,
    I an very interested in any seeds you can send me. I volunteer in a horticultural garden.WE are wanting any plants that attract buterflies. 7I may have some seeds you want.. 7Just ask.hoping to hear from you .
    Nancy Bruner

• butterflymomok
    11 years ago

Lila,

Your meadow is beautiful! Wish I had the space. I'm sure you've made a lot of leps very happy.

Sandy

• MissSherry
    11 years ago

Your meadow is just BEAUTIFUL, Lila!

Sherry

• christie_sw_mo
    11 years ago

Beautiful meadow! I'm so jealous. That's something I would like to do someday but I'm afraid it would just get taken over by invasives. There are several things that I'm fighting in my gardens now including Japanese Honeysuckle. How big is your meadow and what's the plan to maintain it? Will you mow or burn it occasionally? And since I've already gotten you off topic, How did you get it started? Did you till it first?

• imabirdnut
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nancy, I'd be glad to send you seeds....email me & we'll work out the details!

Thanks Sandy & Sherry!!!

I have a burm or hill on the back of our property that keeps my property's water from flowing into my neighbor's back yard that I have always let go wild but decided to not mow this area & I simply scattered seeds over about a quarter of an acre that is behind my purple martin housing. I had used Ornamec on the burm to help reduce the grass but didn't this spring. My burm didn't have many wildflowers because of all the tall grass.
    Christie, I wouldn't be able to burn it so I will mow it once the horsemint & Indian blanket stops blooming. I am thinking I will go ahead & mow the burm & will probably use the Ornamec again next year to help reduce the tall annual grass! I usually have tons of Cowpen daisies on it that are one of the best monarch nectar plants in the fall!!!

• caterwallin
    11 years ago

Hi Lila!
    I don't need any seeds, but that is very kind of you to offer them to people. I wanted to tell you how much I like your meadow. Very pretty! I hope you've been seeing lots of butterflies this year. It looks like you've really gotten into the butterfly thing! :)
    Cathy

• finchelover
    11 years ago

Please and thank you I would love to have some of your seeds

got quack grass in my bed so in process of moving all I can to another area so these will help. Will pay for postage or whatever I sent you an e-mail

• Tony G
    11 years ago

Your meadow is a vision Lila! Wish I had the room...enjoy! Tony

• onlygirlsmom
    11 years ago

Your garden is gorgeous! I sent you an email. :)

• christie_sw_mo
    11 years ago

How long do the red poppies bloom?

• imabirdnut
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Christie, I have both a red coral bread poppy(not pictured) that blooms first before anything else...then the red poppies start to bloom it seems for a month or more but that is because I have a ton of them...then the horsemint & Indian Blanket...I think the larkspur starts blooming about the time the red poppies start & if they get water...will bloom for several months.

I responded to several of you & would like you to send me a SASBE(Self Addressed Stamped Bubble Envelope) to get the seeds please...unless you have one of my wants on my GW list & then we'll trade!
    I did a lot of round robin trades over the winter & early spring & still have seeds I haven't planted yet & will probably have to wait until next spring...we are already having very hot temps & starting seeds in 90+ temps is all but impossible!!!
    Thanks!
    Lila

• christie_sw_mo
    11 years ago

Thanks for the info Lila. I truly am envious. What a beautiful sight that must be when you look out. I think if we had a brush hog, I would try it. Our little riding mower couldn't handle stuff that tall and if I didn't mow it, I would have a bunch of weed trees growing within a year or so. No seeds for me this time.

• imabirdnut
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The purple & white larkspur are actually growing in one of my BF flower beds but I have scattered lots more of the seeds in the meadow area(only had a few scattered flowers in it this year).
    I have been collecting local native seeds like Yellow Star, a pink Paintbrush(I think???)
    {{gwi:470863}}
    as well as the red that is found locally, Englemann's daisy, Prairie parsley, & am also going to scatter the local milkweed seeds (Asclepias asperula) for the monarchs. I had Cowpen Daisies all over the back of my property when we moved in & it is one of the best fall nectar plants & is usually covered with BFs from September to first frost. It is also the favorite host plant for Bordered Patches.
    {{gwi:470865}}
    I also had Frogfruit that was native on my property & have stopped mowing where it is growing. It is a great nectar plant right now & ground cover & is a local host plant for Phaon Crescents & also Buckeyes but have never seen their cats on it.
    {{gwi:470866}}
    (Sorry for the blurred imagae!)
    Yesterday...I started mowing the hill or burm that is covered with dead tall grass & decided to use my walk behind mower with the bag & picked up as much of the grass seed as I could. I dumped the clippings in a stand of trees that is behind the hill because it won't burn. I thought about composting it but it is so full of seeds...I don't want grass to come up in my flower beds.
    Our property was a small ranch before it was developed & the grass is probably a type of hay.
    Last year after using Ornamec...it was covered with Indian Blanket & Horsemint at this time. Part of the meadow is watered daily by our septic system...that's why I still have flowers growing in it. (until last night...we hadn't had rain for a couple of weeks & the temps have been in the 90s!)
    I bought a pound of Texas Bluebonnet seeds & scattered them last early fall but only a few came up. I will buy more this year & scatter them as well...I'm determined to get bluebonnets in my meadow!!!

• imabirdnut
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nancy & Helen...sent seeds out last week...just checking to make sure you got them???
    Lila

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor