Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spaceman13_gw

rooting cuttings - A. curassavica

spaceman13
10 years ago

I'm going to get some A curassavica, which is an annual in my area. What I want to know is can it be, and how easy is it to root cuttings and overwinter to plant next year? Can it be potted and overwintered? If I saved seed and started, would it flower in the first year?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mark

Comments (7)

• bandjzmom
    10 years ago

I have never brought it inside and tried Mark, but I suppose it can be done. I find that the seed germinates very easily., The seedlings transplant very easily and have a good bit of root mass. My experience is that the plant requires a good bit of consistent heat to add growth. I suppose it could do well inside over winter provided it had enough sun. Yes, it does flower in the first year after planting seed. HTH~~Angie

• Tony G
    10 years ago

Hi Mark, I overwinter mine in Minnesota. It's by a window that gets a few hours of afternoon sun. That's enough to make the regular tropical bloom....but for some reason, not the 'silky gold.'

Starting with plants and cuttings is much better than starting with seeds because you'll have flowering plants quickly! (especially for colder zones)

The link has a recent photo of my overwintered milkweed and a link to the same plant plant in January...I cut it back before putting it outside. Tony

Here is a link that might be useful: Potted Tropical Milkweed

• spaceman13
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Angie,
    I'll save some seed and start seed for next year. Makes sense that they don't do well until it warms up. My Mexican Sunflower I start from seed every year is the same!

Thanks Tony,
    Not "Silky Gold' huh?...darn, that is the only one they had! I got 2, and am going to check a few more places...I'll have a go anyhow. Great link, great info! Is that what you do? The plant tag tag says they get to 40" tall, do they get that tall in a pot?
    Mark

• docmom_gw
    10 years ago

Mark,
    I've not ever grown A.curassavica, but I got three seedlings started this spring. I'm hoping to take cuttings at the end of the summer to keep over winter. I'm lucky to have grow lights in my basement. You might want to consider getting a small, inexpensive light to shine on your curassavica to give it a little extra boost. You could even try one plant under a light and one just in a window to hedge your bets and see whether one method works better than another. If I'm lucky enough to have vigorous growth on my plants this summer, I could take enough cuttings that I would be able to share when spring rolls around. I'm happy to do what ever it takes to help us all keep the Monarchs going. Keep in touch.

Martha

• Tony G
    10 years ago

Mark, I think you misunderstood me? You CAN overwinter 'silky gold'. It just hasn't flowered INDOORS under the same light conditions as regular.

All tropical mw does flower in the first year if you start early indoors.

They do stay a little smaller in pots. In the ground I've had plants over 4 feet. I'm sure my returning plant will easily eclipse that.

You will be happy with silky gold. Good luck, Tony

• spaceman13
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK, I get it. (re-read the post)
    I'm not so much worried about them flowering, I just want to keep them going because The tag said they are zone 7 and I live in zone 6, so not too many places carry them. This only the 2nd time I've ever seen A. Curcassavica offered in nurseries. I read you can often make 1 zone warmer come back if placed against a south facing brick wall next to the house, so that's what I did, to see if it will come back next year. I'll still take some cuttings and save seed to hedge my bet.
    Mark

• butterflyman
    10 years ago

It is easy to root AC - I do it every year.

To keep it over the winter, I spray it well with water to make sure there are no aphids and then just put it in water from a used soda can. I put it in shade or light and in about a month or two it will have roots and you can transplant it.

Here is a link that might be useful: milkweed

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living