Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
butterflyaddict

Cajun Monarch

butterflyaddict
10 years ago

I'm releasing a few Monarchs today. So If you come across a Monarch with a very flat accent it may be mine.

Comments (15)

• Leafhead
    10 years ago

Cool. lol I'll keep an eye out for them and offer some real Midwest hospitality...
    Leaf

• MissSherry
    10 years ago

Tell them to fly east - I haven't seen a monarch all year!

Sherry

• ericwi
    10 years ago

The snow is gone in Madison, and the lawns are all greened up, but our milkweed has yet to make an appearance. I am thinking that we might be ready for monarch visitors around June 1, or better yet, June 10.

• Leafhead
    10 years ago

I have a tiny green shoot on one of my A. incarnatas. I see lots of what appear to be volunteer Milkweed seedlings in my front beds as well:)

• butterflymomok
    10 years ago

We are ready for the Monarchs here, but they haven't come through--unless they are sneaking through at night. I am seeing lots of milkweed, including finding viridis growing wild along the right-of-ways. I stop to check for eggs! A friend in Seminole Oklahoma found eggs this past week. She actually got to watch the mama lay the eggs. She is a wild flower dealer, so she has lots of flats of milkweed. Bet she doesn't sell those plants with the eggs!

Sandy

• ericwi
    10 years ago

Yesterday the city planted a new hybrid elm sapling near our front yard, to replace the Norway maple that was taken down by a wind-storm last year. Today, the elm branches are covered with freezing rain. No sign of milkweed yet, but the purple coneflowers are beginning to develop clumps of leaves.

• Leafhead
    10 years ago

Good replacement for another boring maple...
    I just planted a 10' Tulip Poplar in the front yard. Hoping to get a Tiger ELF or two this year. I saw no Eastern Tigers last year because of the drought.
    They really came to the A. incarnatas the year before.
    My next target tree is hackberry.

• ericwi
    10 years ago

No milkweed up yet, here in Madison. However, our violets are blooming, and the columbine is getting close. Yesterday, I saw digger bees emerge from their ground nests, and head over to the violet patch.

• Leafhead
    10 years ago

The bumblebees are out too:)

• MissSherry
    10 years ago

It's good you're finally getting some spring-like weather up north!

Sherry

• butterflyaddict
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nothing flying here, well at least when i'm home. If it were'nt for the Monarchs we raised we wouldn't be seeing any butterfly activity here in the deep south. I am suprised to not have seen a BST on my fennel yet. The Gulf frits normally appear in June.

• Leafhead
    10 years ago

I saw f few Mustard Whites the other day...
    My milkweeds are just poking up, too.

• butterflyaddict
    Original Author
    10 years ago

another release

• sgbuckley
    10 years ago

Beautiful picture! Lets hope I see some monarchs in NY this year!!

• Leafhead
    10 years ago

Just seeing peeks of Milkweed, hoping to see Monarchs and kinder weather this Summer.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor