Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question on Plant?What is it?

Posted by angie83 9 (My Page) on
Sat, May 14, 11 at 13:03

I see black swallowtails laying eggs on this plant no clue what it is ?
Angie
Photobucket
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question on Plant?What is it?

It sort of looks like spicebush....I think. The host plant for spicebush swallowtails.

o

'Looks to me like camphor tree/Cinnamomum camphora, a native of Asia. Spicebush swallowtails and other swallowtails who use laurels are known to lay eggs on it, so that's probably what you're seeing. Spicebush and palamedes swallowtails (another possibility) lay their white, round eggs singly on the undersides of the leaf.
Congratulations, Angie!
Sherry

o
RE: Question on Plant?What is it?*

I looked it up in my field guide, and the three-tailed swallowtail, widespread in Mexico, is a rare stray to south Texas - this butterfly uses laurels.
Here's a link about camphor tree.
Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: Camphor Tree

o

Its so funny iv lost like 5 sassafrass trees all died and some how I got a camphor tree I didnt even plant it growing in my front yard my hubby was ganna chop it down and I saw a black swallowtail laying eggs Iv alway wanted spicebush swallowtails and never had any luck now I have over 11 eggs to keep safe.Thx goodness my hubby is a slacker hehehehe.Now its ganna stay even if it doesnt look that great coming out of my hedges hehehe.Angie

o

"Thx goodness my hubby is a slacker" lol angie! Sometimes it works out! :)

o

Yep, looks like my Camphors which also came up as volunteers. Spicebush prefer laying on it rather than the Red Bay I actually planted for it. We keep our cut down more to shrub size so that it puts out new growth that I can reach to retrieve the babies on stems. In fact, I now have 3 cats and one egg as of yesterday. They will chew the leaf and lay down some web that will curl the leaf around the cat. I love watching them change their colors from brown to green to orange. Love the colors of the male Spicebush butterflies, too. Eggs are laid singly on the back of the leaves.

o

I'm glad your husband is a slacker, too, Angie! Hehehe!
Sherry

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here