Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
misssherryg

First Spicebush Swallowtail

MissSherry
11 years ago

My first spicebush swallowtail has emerged from her chrysalis, and when she landed on the ground, I got her picture. It's good the first one's a female, because for the past few days, a lone male has been nectaring in my garden - he looks new, too, so hopefully they'll meet!

{{gwi:471649}}

There are six other spicebush chrysalides in that cage, plus some raising themselves in my garden on spicebushes in containers. 'Should be plenty of them out there soon!

Sherry

Comments (10)

• nance
    11 years ago

7I planted spice bush and wondering how big will need to be to attract swallowtail butterfly They are so beautiful.
    Nancy from 7KY

• MissSherry
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My two spicebushes are growing in containers in my garden, and they're only about 2' - 3' tall, but that didn't stop the spicebush swallowtails from laying eggs on them. I raised the first two caterpillars myself in a cage on my porch by giving them sassafras, because that's so plentiful here.
    Your problem is more likely to be more cats than spicebush leaves, so, hopefully, you've got sassafras growing wild somewhere near you to give them. I had hoped after I took the first two spicebush cats to raise myself that they'd leave the two bushes alone and let them grow, but they must REALLY love spicebush! I plan to plant the bushes out in shady spots close to the hose, so if we have a dry spell - like now - I can water them.

Sherry

• MissSherry
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I assumed spicebush swallowtails occur in your area. If they don't, not even spicebush will attract them.

Sherry

• terrene
    11 years ago

Congrats on your first eclosure! She is a beauty. Is this late for them to emerge down where you live?

I am anxiously waiting on 7 Spicebush chrysalises too. The flight period for this species begins in mid-May so it's not too early, I don't think. Practically every day I check to see if any are darkening (they are in an aquarium tank on the deck - mostly shaded). They are probably sick of it, lol!

The 2 Black Swallowtails came out last week, 1 male and 1 female. Maybe they will mate? I was thrilled that they over-wintered successfully.

• MissSherry
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hmmm.....I'm guessing you think this gal overwintered, terrene? The overwintering spicebush swallowtails emerged back in late February or early March. I raised this butterfly myself this spring - her Mom probably overwintered and emerged in March.

Sherry

• terrene
    11 years ago

Oh yes that's what I thought! So you raised her already this season, that explains it. The ones I raised last summer and fall are still in chrysalises!

• Tom
    11 years ago

I have a spciebush tree that they never seem to use. It's about seven years old now and about ten feet tall and perhaps six feet wide. They used it some when the tree was small, but now I don't see them. I do get the butterflies, however, because my neighbor has two very large camphor trees that I think they use.

• MissSherry
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hmmmm.....maybe it's because your big bush doesn't make much new growth any more, Tom? Nearly all Mama butterflies and moths lay their eggs on tender new growth. I know that camphor tree is a common tree in Florida and is widely used by spicebush swallowtails, so maybe they've become well adapted to that non-native tree to the near exclusion of others - could be.

Another one has emerged this morning. It's still hanging from the cage ceiling, and I haven't seen yet whether it's a male or female. Maybe I'll be able to get its picture later.

Sherry

• MissSherry
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It's another female, so I won't take her picture - she looks just like the first one!

Sherry

• butterflymomok
    11 years ago

I had a female emerge yesterday. I released her after the presentation this morning. The spicebush is getting a workout this year. One chrysalis left and I saw a female cruising the gardens yesterday.

Sandy

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!