Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Camphor trees in containers

Posted by kellybird02 7b SC (My Page) on
Fri, May 7, 10 at 14:30

Hi there!

I was wondering if anybody has experience growing Camphor trees in containers. I have one small one in a container now and I need to purchase a larger one because a SBST laid a bunch of eggs on my small Camphor and a small Spicebush I have in the ground. Now I need more food. A fun problem to have!

Anyway, I am out of the zone of the plant hardiness and plus I have read that Camphor are invasive in southern states so I want to keep them in a container. I am wondering how behaved they are in a container and if they will do fine indoors over the winter?

Any advice is greatly appreciated - Thanks!
Kelly

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Camphor trees in containers

Hi Kelly. I have had a camphor tree in a 22" pot for about 3 years and it has done extremely well. I left it outside this last winter (the pot was way too big to move), which was a harsh winter for us here in Houston, TX and it survived just fine. I can't remember if the leaves fell off, I don't think they did, but it seems to be happy in the large pot I have it in.

I also have a sassafrass tree in a pot and it has done well and I even got my very first ever spicebush swallowtails (10 of them!) on it this year. I have been using the leaves from the camphor tree along with the sassafrass and the cats seem happy enough with their menu.

Mechelle

o
RE: Camphor trees in containers

Thanks Mechelle!

Nature just about took care of my problem for me. I saw a wasp attacking the caterpillars on the spice bush. He got several of them but we managed to save 6. Then when my daughter and I came out this morning we found a darn spider had taken up residence on our tiny camphor tree and had eaten all our caterpillars on there (I assume it was the spider).

Anyway, at least we have the 6 we brought in and there are some more eggs ready to hatch.

Thanks so much for the info!
Kelly

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here