Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
misssherryg

Name That Swallowtail

MissSherry
9 years ago

This has been a good year for spicebush swallowtails. I'm raising over a dozen, and most are now green -
{{gwi:472206}}

Unfortunately, I'm only raising three palamedes swallowtails. I thought there were four, but I'm pretty sure one is a spicebush swallowtail. I noticed that one of the 'palamedes' cats didn't have the solid white area on the end of the body, but a broken one, like a spicebush swallowtail. It's still brown, but I think I can see the spicebush 'eyes' on it. I first noticed it when it was much smaller, so I put a small branch of sassafras in the hole with the red bay/swamp bay, but it wouldn't eat it, preferred the Persea.

The one at the top of the picture eating the red bay or swamp bay flower buds is a palamedes swallowtail. The one I think is the spicebush is below -

{{gwi:472208}}

Mary in Florida used to post a lot, and she'd post about the spicebush swallowtails she'd find on red bay - I think that's the principle host for them in Florida, but I've NEVER found a spicebush cat on anything but sassafras or, occasionally on spicebush, when I've managed to keep one alive long enough to get eggs.

What do you think it is?

Sherry

P.S.

While I was out gathering fresh food for the caterpillars, I found one more spicebush swallowtail and TWO MORE palamedes swallowtails! The palamedes are definitely palamedes, since their white spot is entire. YAY!!

This post was edited by misssherry on Wed, May 21, 14 at 19:31

Comments (2)