Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cghpnd

this is what I have so far

cghpnd
10 years ago

Welp, this is what I have so far for my butterfly garden. Still not complete.I have 12 milkweed. 3 different kind, just waiting on the tropical milkweed. What do y'all think? I really am aiming for the monarchs .I wish I could chop that bush down. But for right now I'm in an apartment so this is all I can do. Thanks!! Anything else i should add here?

Comments (8)

• Leafhead
    10 years ago

Monarchs love to nectar on Mexican Sunflower (Tithonia) and Cosmos, as well as Liatris and Asters in the late summer/ early fall.
    Throw in a pot full of Fennel and attract some Black Swallowtails as well:)

• cghpnd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ah! I will grab the asters and fennel this weekend. Will the butterflies actually be able to tell I have all these plants when they are so high in the sky? Dumb question but hey...lol.

The entire patio gets covered in sun although there is a cover above and on the sides (other patios).

• butterflymomok
    10 years ago

If you plant it, they will come!

• Mary Leek
    10 years ago

You are to be commended! If you have sun for at least approx. 6 hours each day and assuming all other plant needs are met, you should be able to grow a variety of potted plants that can attract butterflies. A pot of Fennel or parsley can attract black swallowtails. It takes a lot of fennel to feed the little cats so maybe also a pot of parsley, too, as there is more leaf material. When I first began gardening for the butterflies I had one small parsley plant situated back under the overhang of a larger plant and a mama bst found it and laid eggs. These were the first little cats I'd ever raised. I've read the
    butterflies can find their host plants within about a 2 mile radius. Isn't nature amazing! Mary

• Leafhead
    10 years ago

Some Pearly Everlasting and Pussytoes (Antennaria) will attract American Ladies. They are among the first butterflies out in Spring.
    Both are low growing ground covers that love a large container to spread out in. Something like that third long planter to the right (top) would be perfect.

• cghpnd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I check all the plants every day just incase some eggs are there. but no....I have 3 different kind on this patio alone, 1 kind on the other patio which is in sun from sunrise to sun set. This patio in the picture is from 9am-sunset. So im pretty blessed to have that. Does HD or Lowes sell those mentioned plants as plants or just seeds? Thanks for the input!
    I sure hope they come here to visit. the only butterfly I have been seeing is those white ones. which are they?

• ericwi
    10 years ago

It takes about 10 milkweed plants to attract monarch butterflies. You might get some visitors with less than that, but it will be a hit and miss proposition. With 10 or more, if there are any monarchs in your general area, they will come to visit your site. Also, milkweed is a tap-root plant, so it needs a pretty deep pot in order to thrive. I don't know the exact depth required, our milkweeds are all growing in the ground, but I would think that 16 inches would be deep enough, and maybe you could get by with 12 inches.

• Leafhead
    10 years ago

Get your neighbors on the other side of that hedge involved, if you can. Offer seeds/cuttings of A. curassavica and seeds from Butterfly Weed or Swamp Milkweed seeds. You could double or even triple your output by getting neighbors, friends and family involved. Every leaf counts, especially now.

Sponsored