Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bernergrrl

Help with alternatives to traditional American Lady host plants

bernergrrl
11 years ago

Hi everyone,

I planted some pussytoes (Antennaria plantaginifolia) and some Prairie Sage (Artemisia ludoviciana), but they are just coming up, and I didn't order enough for a CROWD which is what will be happening soon. The pussytoes have so many eggs on them, and I think there might even be a couple of nests already though I didn't pry to verify.

I have been looking around and can't find any of the typical host plants growing "wild," and I might try a sort of local place for more pussytoes (Possibility Place)--it's an hour drive if I need to do it.

In the books, it mentions that ALs will eat related composites of the Antennaria and Artemesia and Gnaphilium, so what does that mean? One book mentioned Burdock, which I have definitely seen and would be able to feed. Ladobe had mentioned Cirsium in an older thread. Will they eat just plain thistle (which I have and can always find more)?

Anything else that might be common? Will they eat hollyhocks? Don't have that, but maybe I can find a neighbor who has them, and they won't be treated with any pesticide.

Otherwise, I'll just bring one in and leave the rest to nature. If no one know if they'll eat anything else beside the traditional plants, I might experiment with this "related composites" thing.

Thank you for any help! :)

Comments (4)

• butterflymomok
    11 years ago

PLs will eat thistles, but I don't think ALs will. Pearly Everlastings is a good host plant and might be available at a nursery. Also the silvery leafed licorice plant-- Helichrysum petiolare, which can be found at nurseries. There are lots of different artemesias found at nurseries that should work as well. Good luck, it's a banner year for these guys around here too.

HTHs,

Sandy

• bernergrrl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Sandy--that does help. I will try to find an artemisia or two, and the Helichrysum. One year I bought those at a nursery that promised they didn't use any herbicide, but my caterpillars ended up becoming lethargic and dying anyway, so I am always a little leary of buying plants from nurseries. The retailers aren't always super-knowledgeable about what the commercial nursery is doing to the plants as they raise them, at least in my very limited experience.

Have you ever had any problems with buying from a nursery, and is there I am something I can do to ensure that the plants haven't been treated?

Thank you so much!

• butterflymomok
    11 years ago

About the only thing I know is to buy plants with caterpillars on them! It is a challenge to find plants that haven't been treated in some way. I've killed a lot of caterpillars trusting plants are safe. It's a chance we take. It's either the cats die because of lack of food, or you try to help them out by purchasing plants, and they die from eating the plants.

Pussytoes grow wild in woods, so you might check out some areas. I find them all the time when I'm out in wildlife areas.

I hope you find something. I know how frustrating it is to have too many cats and not be able to provide for them. I've even advertised on our local lep site for homes. A dealer contacted me wanting to take them. DUH!

Sandy

• susanlynne48
    11 years ago

I have read that they will also use Curry Plant - found in the herb sections, normally not sprayed as herbs are food plants. Curry is in the Helicrysum genus (H. italicum or H. angustifolum). Not a native, but it may work.

Susan

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks