Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
panoply76

On clay and wasps: Help! In need of advice!

Panoply76
10 years ago

Hello,

I'm down in Baton Rouge and the soil I have to work with is almost solid clay about a foot down. So naturally there is poor drainage (not to mention clay itself as a growth medium). Does anyone know of any plants that can deal with clay, with the poor drainage associated with it and still attract butterflies and/or hummigbirds? I'm tired of seeing plants die! Help me if you can or direct me to where I might learn more.
Also, I have noticed lots of wasps around my butterfly garden. I didn't think much of it - I didn't like it bt thought it just an irritation. Well, last night was a storm and I went and inspected my garden. There was a dead Monarch with a wasp hovering about an inch over it. Do wasps kill Monarchs? Do they kill or harm and butterflies, butterfly eggs or cats? Is there a way to keep them away without having to use spray poisons that will also kill b-flies? Perhaps a plant that repels them? ANY advice is welcome. The best thing I've managed to think up is a device I've seen advertised that is basically a bug vacuum. I could do that but it seems mighty inefficient. Any ideas?

Thank You All, Sincerely,
Pano

Comments (8)

• docmom_gw
    10 years ago

Wasps are natural predators of butterflies. The most effective way to protect the butterflies is to raise them in a protected container and feed them leaves of known host plants for their species. I think about 1% of Monarch eggs survive to eclose and fly if left to fend for themselves in the wild. It's frustrating, but you really can have a huge impact by raising even a few at a time through the summer.

Martha

• bananasinohio
    10 years ago

I live in an area with clay. Heard of Rookwood pottery?

Lots of things like clay. After all, for many plants, that is their natural environment. Look for some local natives. Recently I have changed my attitude about clay. For years I have heard negative things about clay soils. I read something that talked about how peaches prefer clay soil and to remove the potting medium when planting them. The person talked about how once potting medium dried out, it was difficult to rehydrate. I realized that all my organic soils, that I add (from leaves to manure) dry out incredibly fast compared to my clay soils. Now I realize that for optimal soils, I need a good amount of clay. It holds water a lot longer than organics and is easier to "wet". The plants do like the organics for the nitrogen, carbon, etc. However, they need the clay too. So, don't knock it too much :). Start with some native perennials, and a mulch every year. It will quickly become the best soil ever!

-Elisabeth

• Panoply76
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, but if I get rain for days in a row, like now, the plants begin to die! Ugh! No way to get rid of wasps, eh? Durn. I suppose I can raise them up, but I'kll have to find the cats before the wasps do. Finding Monarch cats is easy as I have loads of them. It's the other species whose cats I but seldom I have to look out for.
    Is there a way to poison them w/o endangering my b-flies? Do they like sugar water? I could put some in a shallow dish and add poison.
    Gotta be a better way!

• spaceman13
    10 years ago

Sugar water would probably kill adult butterflies,beneficial bees and possibly hummingbirds as well. I wish there were some manner of rite or incantation I could tell you, but nature can be a bit cruel. You could raise up some, and hope for the best for the others. Take pride in the small victories.

• Panoply76
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh no. I cannot stand idly by and watch them destroying 3 seasons of work. I've order a 'bug vaccuum' that has a small head, powerful suction and an eetronic 'zapper' at the base. Just now I went out and there were SEVEN masps and ONE monarch. That's going to change. Even if my solution is impractical, I won't feel helpless.

That clay is still a big problem. Butterfly bushes planted last year are fine, but the ones planted this spring are dieing and I can't sem to reverse the process. When it rains hard for 3 days, as it just got through doing, the water just stays. I had a perfect illustration. I took up a full grown hydrangia bush, roots and all, with the intention of putting in a dwarf bottle brush. Then the rains came. It sat there like a punch bowl for days, full of water (the hole). It is drained/evaporated now - but as late as last evening it was a punchbowl.
    I've an idea I will try with one of them. I will get some of that black landscapers stuff (they use it like mulch, keep weeds down? y'all probably know it) lay that from the house to the driveway with at least a foot to either side of a butterfly bush. Around the butterfly bush I wil take one of those plastic saucers (my gardening terminology is weak)that are put under pots, and cut a large hole in it - about all of the flat part - and put it upside down around the b-bush. This should keep water from running down the slight slope that runs from house to driveway from getting to my b-bush. In this way I hope to regulate how much water it gets. I'll cover the black 'stuff' with a layer s of mulch. Cross your fingers!

All advice welcomed!!!
    Pano

• Leafhead
    10 years ago

Sounds like your Punch Bowl would make the perfect rain garden.
    Try planting Summersweet (Clethra), Swamp Milkweed and White Turtlehead (Chelone glabra). You'll provide a perfect habitat for Baltimores and Monarchs. Hummers will be attracted as well.
    Move your Butterfly Bush to higher ground.
    As for the wasps, every BF garden I've ever grown has gone thru its "waspy" stage. Once your host plants grow big enough to host a large number of cats, you'll soon outpace the wasps. It's all about balance. On the flip side, the wasps are allowing your host plants to develop into large healthy food sources. You could also just outplant the wasps.
    When it comes to Monarchs this year, they should be collected and raised indoors.

• bananasinohio
    10 years ago

Don't forget buttonbush. That is a great plant for your wet location. It is a great nectar plant and host for some moths.
    It is a favorite on this forum.
    -Elisabeth

• Leafhead
    10 years ago

Bacopa marieri is a host plant for the White Peacock. It also favors wet, boggy areas. It is a spreading ground cover and integrates well into lawn grasses.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations