Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ksohio

Giant Swallowtails need Males!

ksohio
10 years ago

Last fall someone was kind enough to ship us some extra GST cats from Columbus to raise and release in NW Ohio. They grew nicely on wafer ash and rue, pupated, overwintered, and they all eclosed this month, the last 2 just yesterday. Problem is, we believe them all to be females, and since we don't have a resident population, we are afraid there won't be any males around to facilitate egg laying. So now we are trying to find out of there are any males or more chrysalises ready to eclose to increase the chances. Although we wanted to keep the genotype Ohio/Midwest, now we are just trying to find any males that may breed in the short 2 weeks the females have. The only place we can find online is Butterflyworkx, but they will not reply to emails and seem not to be doing any shipping of eggs, cats, chrysalises, or butterflies currently.
So, any ideas?
It would be a shame if there were no eggs, and I don't believe GST's will travel very far to find mates.

This post was edited by KSOhio on Thu, May 30, 13 at 15:47

Comments (7)

• bananasinohio
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Ummm... please don't import eggs into Ohio. There are too many potential problems with this. I also seriously question the need to do this. I have visited one of the most famous butterfly re-introduction programs in the country. The Karner Blue program in Toledo. It is a serious scientific enterprise to re-introduce a butterfly. They collect hundreds of eggs to make even a small impact In addition, I am not convinced that there really is a problem with GS in NW Ohio. I have a message out to a friend who has been conducting surveys in this area of Ohio for years to determine whether this is true or not. I think Ohio Lepidopterists would have mentioned this, if it was the case. As we stated last time, we see an increase in GS in most areas of Ohio. You can contact Ohio Leps and ask to see the Monitoring data.

-Elisabeth

• ksohio
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That would be my hesitation of "importing" males out from of the state, or from out of the midwest. (Although I'm not really sure of there are major differences in regional genotypes, as GST shipping is done rather regularly and legally, and if there were any issues, they are usually pretty strict about that. Populations are already fairly "mixed" because of this). There isn't any problem per se of GST in Ohio, but there are areas of Ohio where their habitat has been stripped and they are no present (like the area we are trying to restore). I know there is some extent of migratory movement, as GST is expanding its range, but basically we are just trying to help expand the already occurring population into a specific area where they would thrive, where there are currently none. (Because there are no bridging stations due to development over the past couple hundred years, and no way for them to travel to our area).
    Funny you should mention the Karner Blue, as we also have built a habitat for a (hopeful) future population of them in the same area. I actually just got back from both the Kitty Todd Preserve (where the reintroduction of the Karner Blue is taking place), and Oak Openings, and also have been involved at the Toledo Zoo where the initial breeding project for the KB was undertaken. We just got back from researching the local genotype Wild Blue Lupine and soil it is growing in naturally, sampling soil bacteria and innoculum, and crawling around counting larvae, If you ever make it to Kitty Todd I highly recommend it!).

• bananasinohio
    10 years ago

Well I am glad that you are restoring the habitat. I think that will go a long way. Giant swallowtails historically have incursions into more northern states that at times can set up populations for a period of time and then disappear (see http://www.butterfliesofmassachusetts.net/giant-swt.htm). It seems to be related to fall frosts. Adults can overwinter if the last instar has access to good quality plant material. The native host plants for GS are susceptible to early (Sept.) frosts. So, you can have populations of GS for a period of years and then have them disappear. The literature states that GS populations are on the increase because fall frost dates are getting later (http://images.peabody.yale.edu/lepsoc/jls/2010s/2011/2011-65-2-119.pdf). So, without conducting research on historical levels in your area and looking at survey data collected recently, you cannot say they are disappearing.

GS's are like many southern range butterflies that migrate or emigrate and expand their range. They are powerful flyers and re-establish local colonies in good years. I don't think you need to re-establish them. There are plenty of local populations within the state for them to emigrate to where you are. In addition, if the local habitat is not suitable, your introduced butterflies will not stay put and potentially cause problems elsewhere. Butterflies like the Karner Blue are highly localized butterflies that do not emigrate large distances. Therefore, they need help in re-establishment. But even in those circumstances, they require a lot of study and understanding. If you talked to them at the Toledo Zoo, they may have mentioned the genetic studies looking at local genes and the role they play in food plant selection by adults. In other words, butterflies may adapt to local plant populations. I remember when I visited them they were studying if the lupin in Michigan was significantly different from Ohio's and its effect on plant selection on adults. Is this what you were looking at with the local genotypes of Lupin? There is a good paper that discusses the need to look at genetics for conservation efforts (http://www.genemetrix.net/pdf/identifying.pdf). On this board we find that southern versions of species often use different plants than their northern cousins. This may be the case with GS as well.

In addition, re-introduction programs are done with great care not to introduce parasitoids and disease. Purchasing butterflies from breeders does not match the type of controls scientists put in place to prevent this.

Then there is the carrying capacity of the habitat. You have to study the carrying capacity of the habitat before determining if re-introduction is even feasible. If it can't support a sustainable population, then there is no point of re-introduction. Has your group done any type of studies looking at the ability of the local habitat to support GS's? I suspect that if it could support GS's it would.

Therefore, again, I will state that this butterfly is not endangered or threatened in the state of Ohio. If it is not present locally, it may be because as you state, the habitat has disappeared. If you focus on establishing the habitat, they will return without you re-introducing them.

Good luck,
    Elisabeth

• docmom_gw
    10 years ago

KSOhio,
    I just wanted to thank you for your efforts to expand the potential habitat and population of the GS. They are beautiful creatures that I wish I had more opportunity to see and enjoy. It also sounds as if you are making great efforts to work within the scientifically appropriate and safe guidelines. I hope you aren't still getting unpleasant communications. Keep up the good work.

Were you able to find dates for your Giant ladies? I hope so. Have a beautiful summer.

Martha

• ksohio
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi,

Thanks docmom :) Your message helped cheer me up. Nothing is more bothersome than the feeling of anyone thinking you are doing something wrong, even if based on misinterpretation, when you are the last person who wold ever want to be doing anything wrong when it comes to conservation. It was quite the blow, considering who the communications were from. Hopefully things will be sorted out, but it has been depressing.

Anyway, the Giant Swallowtails were released about 24 hours after eclosing, as they do not do well in the pavillions or any captivity due to them being strong flyers with a strong instinct to fly, (moreso than to nectar), they can easily damage wings, even in large pavillions.
    They were strong flyers and immediately flew well over the rooftops, out of sight. So hopefully they might be lucky and be able to travel enough to find mates. We have wafer ash/hoptree and other hosts, joe pye weed and plenty of nectaring plants, so who knows, they may find us again.

• docmom_gw
    10 years ago

KSOhio,
    I'm not an expert myself, but I've been gardening for nature for many years and I've assisted my brother who has a PhD in entemology based on studies of the genetic variability found in Eastern Swallowtail Butterflies from one county to the next. He's now moved up the ladder and is in charge of setting up overseas conservation experiences for students, in addition to teaching conservation courses here in the states.

Anyway, all efforts to educate people re: the changes in native habitats and to improve the areas able to support native creatures, are invaluable. And you certainly seem to have your head screwed on correctly related to GSs.

I'll continue to ramp up my little part of the conservation world and I'll continue to support and encourage others who are doing the same. Hang in there.

Martha

• terrene
    10 years ago

Hope your females find some mates KSOhio!

I saw a female Giant Swallowtail in my gardens on several occasions last summer here in Massachusetts. They are super rare in this state. I wonder if she ever found a mate!

Sponsored