Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this in Passifloraceae family? ID plez.

Posted by ronkw 8b LA (My Page) on
Sun, May 13, 12 at 15:49

Spotted this on the side of a rural road yesterday.
The leaf shape made me think passiflora.

Slightly off topic I realize, apologize in advance, but wanted to get straight to the pros.
TIA,
Ron

Untitled

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this in Passifloraceae family? ID plez.

No, unfortunately Ron, it's bull nettle/Cnidoscolus stimulosus. It grows on the back side of my property, and it catches my eye every time I go back there.

The only type of passionvine that grows wild here other than maypops/P. incarnata is P. lutea, with the mottled leaves and very small flowers - that grows on one site here, too.

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: Bull Nettle

o

Hello Misssherry,
Thanks for the info. Bull nettle...such a let down. ;-)
Upside is I learned a new plant.

The GF seemed to show up very early this year, incarnata was just getting started when the eggs arrived. Plants did not get their usual headstart on the season, it seems to me.

Did you "see" this also?

Yeah, I have Lutea scattered about as well, I like it.
LOTS of liatris coming up, growing fast too.

Any luck with your liatris seeds and efforts??
Any posts/discussions regarding you meadow that you can link to?

o

I haven't found any new liatris, Ron. My meadow looks pretty weedy and ugly, so I haven't discussed it. None of the seeds I sowed have come up, and the only good plant growing there is cudweed, because it's a host for American ladies. There are some big trees growing all around it, and, at this point, I'd just as soon the trees shade it out, with leaves and pine straw all over it and nothing low growing there.

I saw my first gulf frit of the year today. It flew through my garden while I was working out there, and it was so brilliant, I think it was a newly emerged male. I don't know for sure, though, because it went through so quickly. I just WISH I had some gulf frits to raise! If you don't have enough food for them, bring them here! :)

Sherry

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here