Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Good source for reasonably priced milkweed plugs

Posted by buzzito 19020 (My Page) on
Fri, May 3, 13 at 15:57

Can anyone suggest a source for milkweed plugs at a reasonable price? Most I have talked to either have a decent price but you must by in quantity or their prices are quite high. Trying to get a head start before ordering caterpillars to they'll have something to eat. Thanks!
Scott

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Good source for reasonably priced milkweed plugs

Scott,

I doubt the A curassavica aka tropical MW would be offered in plugs because in most growing zones it is considered an annual. I also seriously doubt Perennial MW would grow enough the first year from plugs to provide adequate food for cats. At least, this has been my experience.

It is wonderful of you to grow for the butterflies but the only MW I can think of that would give you good leaf growth for food this season would be A curassavica or A physocarpa. Maybe other forum members can offer additional suggestions.

Mary

o

Scott,

I don't know of a plug source for A. curassavica, but I find the plants from the ebay seller dogwooderitternet very inexpensive and very nice. They are small but well rooted, and packed well.

I see that he has threevarieties of milkweeds listed right now. He is a very popular supplier to butterfly gardeners and carries a range of host plants and other flora. Dogwoodritternet can be found easily by google-ing.

Also, if you buy one or two large A. curassavica at a garden center, you can take cuttings and start additional plants quite easily. Directions for this can be found on the internet.

I did see that North Creek Nurseries offers A. Incarnata, aka 'swamp' milkweed, a very nice perennial plant for the garden, at 50 plugs for $50 which is a pretty good price. Probably more plugs than you need, but maybe you have some friends who want to garden for butterflies?

Have fun. J.

Here is a link that might be useful: North Creek Nursery

o

The link below has rooted cuttings of a. curassavica for a little over a dollar each but I've never ordered from them so I can't say how well they would do. As Mary said, it typically grows fast but this type of milkweed is an annual so it won't return next year. Maybe plant some swamp milkweed too. Those would return.

Here is a link that might be useful: ButterflyWorkx

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here