Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
monarch cat with extra antennae..

Posted by fighting8r 10 Fort Myers Florid (My Page) on
Tue, May 3, 11 at 16:14

I know what you are thinking, no it is definitely not a queen!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: monarch cat with extra antennae..

Wow, that's interesting!
Any such thing as a monarch/queen hybrid?

Sherry

o

That thought has crossed my mind too, Sherry. I'll be watching this one closely to see him as an adult. My guess is it's just a monarch anomaly but who knows?

o

How interesting, did it have this amonaly for all the instars then? Real curious if it evolves into a normal Monarch.

o

That's a good question, I did not notice it till now, but with the number of cats around I have not been looking closely at them all.

o

I'll bet it's a mutant Monarch! It doesn't really remind me of a Queeen and has more pairs of filaments than the Queens. How bizarre!

o

Right, forgot to point out that he even has more than he would if he were a queen! And you can't really tell from the pic but the one in the 3rd set (the one closest to the camera) is just a nub. So he has like 3.5 sets of antennae. Fun.

o

BTW, this one never came out of the pupa, which looked normal right up to the end, when it turned darker, then just turned black. sigh.

o

I heard about these guys through Monarch Watch back in the day. I don't think they operate anymore but their website still works which allows us to still see their article on 8 antennae monarchs.

KC

Here is a link that might be useful: Freak Monarch Caterpillars

o

Major Bummer!

I was looking forward to some kind of jet propelled Monarch with machine guns or something!

Mark

o

Maybe cats with anomalies can't survive. I had a silvery white gulf frit cat on year with a blue head! It was quite the beauty, but the chrysalis also turned sooty black, no butterfly ever emerged. :(
Sherry

o

@Mark - mee too!!
@KC - thanks that is an interesting page!
@Sherry - I remember the white GFs, but now that I think of it never heard the outcome. Makes you wonder if the "bad" chrysalis was because of the dna mixup or just coincidence.

Thanks all! We'll keep watching for the next interesting thing!

o
OPY chrysalis

Burris and Richards linked this on their Facebook page today. If I saw a monarch chrysalis like this, I'd figure it was a goner.

Here is a link that might be useful: OPY monarch chrysalises

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here