Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
misssherryg

Long-tailed Skipper Chrysalides

MissSherry
11 years ago

I brought in three long-tailed skipper cats to raise myself. They're all on the "weed" Desmodium paniculata here, and it stays fresh in water for a long time, so it's not too hard to raise them.

Two of them have made their reddish brown chrysalis. It looks like somebody sprinkled powdered sugar on it -

{{gwi:473787}}

This picture shows the "face" -

{{gwi:473788}}

Sherry

Comments (5)

• susanlynne48
    11 years ago

MissSherry, those are such cool photos! I've often hoped to see images of other butterfly larvae and pupae that we don't discuss that often here, and the Long-Tailed Skipper is certainly one of those. Will probably not see in Oklahoma, but I find them fascinating just the same. There are so many interesting species South of us and I hope to see more of them.

Thanks for sharing these! Love that face!

Susan

• weed30 St. Louis
    11 years ago

Hmmm.. my first post didn't show up. Soo...Those definitely look like they were rolled in sugar! What is that?!

• butterflymomok
    11 years ago

Love the photos. Great detail. As Susan said, one we'll never see here unless it gets blown up in a hurricane!

Sandy

• MissSherry
    Original Author
    11 years ago

According to what I've read, long-tailed skippers, like many other skippers but not all, exude a wax that makes the chrysalis appear frosted. I've linked to an interesting article. I love the long-tailed skipper adults - their teal coloring is unique and very beautiful!
    And by the way, the last of the three cats is pupating now.

I've used Canons, Lumix, and Kodak point-and-shoot cameras, and my last one, the Lumix, gave out recently - as usual, the lens lost its retractability and got stuck in the "out" position. So I ordered a simple Canon PowerShot Elph100HS from B&H - thanks, Sandy! - for barely over $100, and I've noticed right away that it makes much clearer pictures than the Lumix and the Kodak - the last time my pix were this clear was when I had my other Canon, which was a more expensive model. I figured if it had the Canon parts, it would still be good, just like a Toyota and Lexus both have the same engines. I thought about upgrading to the Canon Rebel SLR, but having a camera that I can carry in my pocket is important to me, so I'll just buy a new one every few years when the lens gets stuck!

I still don't have any gulf frit eggs or cats, not even any variegated frits, which returned last year. Maybe later....

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: Long-tailed Skipper Information

• MissSherry
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The first long-tailed skipper has emerged. It didn't want to pose for its picture in the cage, and the porch is real shady. This is the best picture I could get -

{{gwi:473789}}

When it left the cage, it didn't stop to pose on a bush or tree, just flew out FAST!! I think it's a female, because its teal coloring is subdued, but it might be a male - sometimes butterflies just look extra dark when they first emerge.

Sherry

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz