Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catherinet11

I built it and they came! Pipevine Swallowtails

catherinet
11 years ago

I planted a small dutchman's pipevine last summer and today, I found about 6 5th instar pipevine cats on it!

Just today I thought I saw a pipevine butterfly flying around for the first time, so I went to the vine and checked it and found all the caterpillars! they are eating the heck out of the vine, so I hope not too many more eggs get laid on it.

How far away will they go to pupate? How long do they pupate for?

My only concern is that the vine is growing up my chicken run. I'm concerned that the chickens might eat the leaves or a cat that might fall. I'll try to do something about that.

My chickens are very old and probably aren't into jumping very high, fortunately.

This is so exciting!

Comments (6)

• butterflymomok
    11 years ago

Once Pipevine Swallowtails find your pipevine, they will keep coming back and laying eggs until there isn't any vine left, and then they will lay eggs on the ground around the sprouts! They just don't know when to stop.

Can't imagine your chickens will like the taste of these guys or, for that matter, the looks!

Congrats!!

Sandy

• catherinet
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hmmmmm.......maybe I shouldn't be so happy??

• MissSherry
    11 years ago

Ditto to what Sandy said! You can't believe what my pitiful 'vines' look like - I put that in quotes, because there's almost nothing left of what were once miles of pipevines. But I've sure got the pipevine swallowtails - they're everywhere! And they're laying eggs on the beginnings of new growth both on the ground and on the fence. I've been watering the vines, also fertilized a little, in hopes of getting more growth, but nothing is ever enough for these guys! I still love them, though. Is there anything more beautiful than a newly emerged male pipevine swallowtail?

Sherry

• catherinet
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh My! I just checked the other pipevine trellis I have on the side of my house, in the shade......and there are 24 cats!!
    I guess I should be careful what I wish for! I guess I won't be seeing any dutchman's pipes!
    This is funny!

• butterflymomok
    11 years ago

Cathy,

I'm chuckling at your last post. I have so many PVs in the garden, and yes, they are beautiful. The Ironweed is blooming early, and the PVs are all over it. Guess I ought to get a pic, as the Ironweed has never been as beautiful as it is this year. I'll deadhead it so it can bloom at its normal late summer time.

You'll see the pipes in the spring before the butterflies arrive. It takes about 3 years for the plants to mature enough to flower. I had loads of flowers this year, but not one seed pod. And my vines, which are plentiful, are getting close to being defoliated! The serpentaria can't even leaf out as the PVs lay eggs as soon as there is any sign of growth.

Sandy

• catherinet
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nature seems to be turned upside down a bit this year. As far as plant growth, we're about in late June. Its unbelievable.
    I think I'll probably have dreams tonight of seeing PV cats everywhere..............