Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tony, Ron or Anybody - What Type Liatris?

Posted by misssherry Z8/9MS (My Page) on
Thu, May 31, 12 at 16:49

There's a plant in my meadow growing in an open area that I haven't been able to identify. A light bulb went off today in my head, and I'm pretty sure it's some type of Liatris. It could be L. ligulistylis from the seeds Tony sent or L. pycnostachya, from the seeds Ron sent.

I believe that's a bloom stalk forming at the top. I'm sure it's not the small blooming L. squarrosa that grows on its own up front. I wonder which one it is, if it is indeed Liatris?

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Sherry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tony, Ron or Anybody - What Type Liatris?

The leaves are too thin to be ligulistylis...and you planted my seeds either last fall or this spring, right? Next year is the first year they will grow stalks and flower.

Congrats on your liatris, whatever type it is. Let us know how it works out for you, Tony

o

It almost looks like the blazing star type--liatris spicata.

It'll be pretty! :)

o

It looks a lot like L. pycnostachya, I've got a small patch started from seed several years ago. You will know when it flowers, since pycnostachya is a spikey kind, and ligulistylis is a button type.

L. pycnostachya is gorgeous in a mass, but it's quite floppy for me - not sure if it's growing in the best place or not. Is yours in a wet or dry spot?

o

It's in a dry spot, at least it's dry now. Even when we're having plenty of rainfall, however, it's still well drained, no sogginess. All the liatris that grows wild around here grows on dry spots, so that's why I picked this area for liatris seeds.

Here's hoping that it's at least some type of liatris! :)

Sherry

o

Sherry - Did you id your plant yet?
Someone posted a photo of the plant below in another forum and it made me remember this thread. It looks a lot like your plant.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mares Tail

o

Ooooh, Christie - that *is* similar.

o

It did look similar to mare's tail, Christie - I should know, since plenty of it grows around here! :)
But it's grown much taller, looks very different and is sporting what must be a long, future flower stalk. I think it's definitely L. pychnostachya, ever how you spell that word!
I'm going to directly upload a picture I just took of it.

Sherry

o
RE: Tony, Ron or Anybody - What Type Liatris? P.S.

Oh my goodness! I just looked at my post, and the picture is a mile high! :0

I'm not too impressed with this direct picture stuff.

Sherry

o

That's TALL! Glad you didn't pull it out thinking it was a weed. Be sure to post another photo when it blooms.

o

Miss Sherry and the Beanstalk! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here