Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bandjzmom

Sherry....help?

bandjzmom
9 years ago

Ok, both are pupated now. Do you think that I should go ahead a separate them in order to avoid potential problems, or should I leave them as they are? Thanks.~~Angie

Comments (2)

• MissSherry
    9 years ago

Angie, the only way you can get the one on the bottom safely off the upper one is to pull the silk off that supports it. Normally, when a chrysalis is attached to the side of the cage or a stick, you can scratch off the silk easily, by scratching the silk area beside the chrysalis, then gently pulling downward. If you try to scratch off the silk of this one, you'd likely prick the upper chrysalis, which would cause it to ooze and it would die. Unless you can find a spot where the silk of the lower chrysalis is attached to the mesh (I can't tell from the picture) you might be able to get it off cleanly. Even if you leave them, they'll both probably emerge successfully. The upper one will likely emerge first, being the oldest, but the shell of the chrysalis will likely stay attached so the lower one won't fall down. If it should sag, then you can scratch the silk off the mesh of the upper one, being careful not to get liquid from the empty chrysalis onto the lower, unemerged chrysalis, and put the whole thing on the cage floor.

The only problem I can foresee with leaving them as they are is if, when the upper one emerges, the liquid inside the chrysalis spills onto the lower one. That probably won't happen, since they're horizontal, but it could. One of my chrysalides got meconium (I think that's what the liquid is called) on it a long time ago, and it died, never emerged, so I try to make sure my chrysalides aren't in a position for that to happen.

So, I guess I would check and see if I could find silk from the lower one on the mesh, if so, I'd gently try to dislodge it, then pull the lower one down.

Good luck!

They sure are a pretty green color!

Sherry

• runmede
    9 years ago

You should always wait at least 2 days until the chrysalis has hardened, then if you mist with water and wait a few seconds the silk will loosen. Then you can gently pull them apart. Don't force it. Spray with more water if the silk is not loose enough.

Sherry is right you will have to be careful not to damage the other chrysalis.

Here is a link that might be useful: Short video of misting and pinning Monarch chrysalis

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting