Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bernergrrl

Artemesia ludoviciana for American Ladies

bernergrrl
9 years ago

Hello all,

So, I think I have some good news to report, at least for my area. For the past couple of years, I have had a hard time with American Ladies because of host plant availabilty and hardiness. Pearly Everlasting is not dependable for me here, and Pussy Toes (Antennaria plantaginifolia) does well, but my patch is just not enough for the poor things who seem to lay all their eggs on it.

I have been clipping leaves and raising the caterpillars in a container, which has worked for the Pussy Toes--otherwise, there is no way to clip a stem and put it in water like we do for milkweed, nor do I want to risk digging up the plant like I do for pellitory. So, clipping leaves has been working.

Last night I put some Artemesia in there with them and the pussytoes, and this morning I noticed a couple of caterpillars were on it, and there are very early instars.

Today, I put a few caterpillars in a separate containter with ONLY the Artemesia, and they are eating it and making nests.

This makes me so happy (won't be joyous until I'm releasing American Ladies). I have loads of Prairie Sage; it spreads happily and is prolific, so concern about running out of the plant shouldn't happen.

I'll post pics soon.

Comments (13)

• runmede
    9 years ago

Always good to find another good host plant. Thanks for this!

• MissSherry
    9 years ago

That's fantastic!! 'Looking forward to the pictures!

Sherry

• larry_gene
    9 years ago

I just put this in the FAQ this evening. Thanks for sharing your experiment.

• bernergrrl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Glad to let others know that it's an alternative. I had found some Artemesia I had planted in my alley with nests, but it looked like a predator had got to them, but definitely bore all the hallmarks of an AL caterpillar nest. It was the first time I've seen caterpillar nests on them, and the female must have laid eggs on it. I'll keep everyone updated about it.

• bernergrrl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Photo of young caterpillar on Prairie Sage.

• bernergrrl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Later instar in nest.

• Leafhead
    9 years ago

Awesome!!

JohnI'll have to check my Artemisia more frequently.

• molanic
    9 years ago

A couple of years ago I was trying to raise the babes of my first ELF American lady that did a major egg dump on my immature and only host plant, pearly everlasting. It pretty much decimated the plant and my attempts to locate alternative plants locally did not work.

So, I got seeds for some other listed host plants in swaps and started them to increase my food bank for them. Last year I added Antennaria parlinii (which is still under an inch tall), and more pearly everlastings. This year I was in the process of planting out Artemesia ludoviciana and Antennaria plantaginifolia when an American lady landed right next to me and started laying eggs on the Artemesia ludoviciana right after I put it in the ground! Today I saw some possible nests on the pearly everlastings and Antennaria parlinii as well. I will not be collecting them to raise at this point though because all the plants are so small still. If I helped them along it would probably decimate my plants again. I will let them fend for themselves this round.

I also have another artemesia species to plant out that I think is a host too , but I can't remember the name at the moment.

Good luck raising the American ladies. They are messy little buggers! Those nests can get pretty yucky looking.

• MissSherry
    9 years ago

Well, that does it! Artemesia ludoviciana is on my list of plants for next year!

And they DO make the biggest mess of any caterpillar I raise. I've only got one remaining cat, and that one cat pooped all over the left overs container, so I had to clean up after it again.

I released an adult today, should be releasing a lot more soon. They're messy cats, but beautiful little adults - those underwing markings are so intricate!

Sherry

• bandjzmom
    9 years ago

AWESOME! Very good to know. It is wonderful to be able to come here and share these tidbits of knowledge. :)

• bernergrrl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Some are in their last instar and look good, so they seem the Artemesia seems to be agreeing with them! :)

• MissSherry
    9 years ago

Woo hoo! That's great!

There's an American lady hanging out in a cage on the porch that I'll be releasing soon.

Sherry

• runmede
    9 years ago

Just noted that Artemesia ludoviciana - Western Mugwort, White Sage is listed as a host plant for:
    Vanessa cardui - Painted Lady (May-Oct.) Immigrant
    Vanessa virginiensis - American Lady (Apr.-Nov.) Common

On the "Larval Hostplant List for Butterflies of the
    Washington, DC Area" DRAFT - last updated April 3, 1998 by Mark Etheridge

Here is a link that might be useful: Larval Hostplant List for Butterflies of the Washington, DC Area