Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
starting a butterfly garden...

Posted by PunkyAllNight 6 (My Page) on
Wed, May 23, 12 at 19:16

For my zone, what plants would be best to attract and host butterflies?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: starting a butterfly garden...

That's a huge question, and you'd probably get more information by searching for a group in your geographic area who can guide you, or finding some of the many online sources of information.

That being said, you can't go wrong with any of the various Milkweeds (Asclepias tuberosa, A. incarnata, A. syriaca, A. purpurescens, etc.) to host Monarch cats and provide nectar for many beneficial insects. Dill, fennel, and parsley are easy to grow and host the Black Swallowtail cats. Beyong that, many of the native flowering plants will attract various butterflies to nectar.

Hope that helps.

Martha

o

Thank you so much! :)

o

...if you are in an area with Monarchs. Rather than asking your question based on hardiness zone, use the closest major city.

Zone 6 covers a lot of different climates, gardens there will vary.

o

The below link will give you some general ideas.

What I suggest is buying a butterfly book specific to your state, finding which butterflies are in your area, and then planting native hostplants for the butterflies you wish to attract. Also plant flowers to keep the adults fed. A water feature that is butterfly friendly also helps.

Like Larry said, if you give us a better idea of where you are, we will give you targeted suggestions but we might leave off something that you would want. Where I live, I figure I can attract 50+ butterflies. No one here is going to take the time to tell me which 50+ those are. Taking the time to do your own research might land you a cool butterfly or caterpillar that none of us has raised. I bought a bunch of new plants this year in hopes of raising some butterflies that are new to me.

KC

Here is a link that might be useful: top ten butterfly magnets

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here