Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
butterflymomok

Mama Pipevine left me some eggs today

butterflymomok
10 years ago

This morning, I was planting some purple milkweed in my newly made hardware cloth boxes. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw movement. It was a female Pipevine Swallowtail. She left eggs all over the tomentosa vines. YAY! First actual eggs in the garden this year. I also saw a Red Admiral and a Buckeye in the yard today. The Buckeye was cruisin' so possibly some eggs on the newly emerged wild petunias or the weedy plantain. I'll have to check it out. Tonight, thunder storms, and tomorrow, we are in for cold, cold weather again--maybe even snow and sleet. So tired of the winter repeat. And the long range forecast says another round same time next week. Ugh. Hope my newly planted milkweed survives.

Comments (7)

• Mary Leek
    10 years ago

Yikes, is this strange spring weather ever going to go away! Hope the forecasters are wrong, wrong, wrong.

Will you bring the pipevine eggs in to raise?

Mary

• MissSherry
    10 years ago

Congrats, Sandy! I've never had to wonder whether or not pipevine eggs could survive snow and sleet! I imagine they can, but I'd bring in at least one batch, just in case. Of course, you wonder how the pipevines themselves will hold up!

I've had 6" of rain the past two days, with more forecast for today and tomorrow. We're under flood watches, probably soon to be flood warnings. This is all too bad!!!

Sherry

• MissSherry
    10 years ago

Congrats, Sandy! I've never had to wonder whether or not pipevine eggs could survive snow and sleet! I imagine they can, but I'd bring in at least one batch, just in case. Of course, you wonder how the pipevines themselves will hold up!

I've had 6" of rain the past two days, with more forecast for today and tomorrow. We're under flood watches, probably soon to be flood warnings. This is all too bad!!!

Sherry

• Leafhead
    10 years ago

Congrats and good luck...
    Reminds me of the good old days c my Polydamas larvae...

• butterflymomok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, everyone. Sherry, I wasn't planning on bringing in any eggs, but I'll do that, just in case. Yes, the weather this spring is bizarre. I've read that the cycle of the arctic lows is going to continue through the month of May--so must prepare for warm-cold cycles and lots of moisture each week.

I am so behind in getting the gardens planted and cleaned up. I still haven't pruned the buddleias. Right now, it's scheduled for tomorrow--have a former student, now grown up, coming to help me. I had him in 2nd and 3rd grade. He's working to earn money for a DSLR, so I can identify with wanting a good camera. Had to wait for his days off from his full-time job.

Sandy

• susanlynne48
    10 years ago

Wow, Sandy, you're so lucky to get those PVS's! I still don't have enough of a patch to attract them, I guess. I just rarely see them in OKC. In fact, I have not seen very many butterflies here at all, or at my DD' s house. Do you use any kind of soil amendments, like chicken manure, or organic ferts on your PV' s?

Has anyone tried to.take stem cuttings of your PV? Do they take forever to root?

Susan

• butterflymomok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Susan,

I don't fertilize the pipevine, just let it do its thing. Which, lately, has been come up all over the place just like the passion vine. I dug up a bunch of the wanderers before they turned green, and they have rooted. I'll see if I can put one in a separate pot for you. I'm planning to get it started down at the acreage. And, these took very little time to root. I'm thinking you have to dig them up at just the right time.

Sandy