Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_littlerock_ar

A variegata - Red Ring Milkweed - setting flower heads already!

Mary Leek
10 years ago

This plant is already setting flower heads, well, actually, the baby behind this one is, too. Why do they bloom so very early? I told myself last fall I'd pinch back a stalk or two, just to see what would happen, to see if it would produce another later flower head on the same stalk. Maybe having it bloom later would help to produce a seed pod. But I'd hate to permanently damage the plant. I'd want to kick myself if I killed it. It puts on so few leaves on each stalk and I'd think the plant needs the leaves to feed itself. What do you guys think?

Mary

A variegata - Red Ring Milkweed - May 1, 2013

{{gwi:476316}}

Comments (6)

• butterflymomok
    10 years ago

Looking good, Mary. I'd leave it alone. How many plants do you have now? I still have a couple. One is up about an inch, and the other is just breaking dormancy. Got some seed chilling. Hope some will germinate.

Found viridis growing at the acreage today along the pond behind the property. It had flower buds too. No eggs, yet.

Sandy

• Mary Leek
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sandy,

Sadly, I only have five left. My husband passed away last May and I didn't care for my garden as I should have last summer; nothing much mattered to me for a while. With the terrible heat and dry weather we had here, I lost some plants, including some of my young Red Ring. I'm trying to get the garden back in order but it is a mess right now. Getting old and can't work at a good pace anymore. But it gives me joy again so will keep at it.

One viridis showing up here. I did have three but so far, only the one is up. I don't know how old they should be before blooming but I'd sure love to see one of their blooms in person.

Good luck with your seed germination. I suspect, if anyone can get these seed up and thriving, it is you.

Mary

• MissSherry
    10 years ago

I'd probably leave it alone, too, Mary.

I'm SO sorry about your husband. No wonder you didn't post much then - my heart goes out to you.

Sherry

• butterflymomok
    10 years ago

Mary, so sorry to hear about the loss of your husband. Knew that he wasn't well for quite some time. Please know that you are in my thoughts as you deal with his absence. I am glad that the garden is bringing you joy again. I don't know what I'd do without gardening. It's my answer to depression and pain.

Your five Redrings are still quite a few. Here's hoping for a seed pod or two this year!

Sandy

• susanlynne48
    10 years ago

Mary, I, too, am so sorry for the loss of your husband. My heart goes out to you. We did miss your lovely presence here, but understand the process of grief.

I am glad, despite your loss, that you are again among your friends here on the forum. And I am happy to hear that your Asclepias variegatas are determined to grace your garden.

Susan

• susanlynne48
    10 years ago

Mary, I, too, am so sorry for the loss of your husband. My heart goes out to you. We did miss your lovely presence here, but understand the process of grief.

I am glad, despite your loss, that you are again among your friends here on the forum. And I am happy to hear that your Asclepias variegatas are determined to grace your garden.

Susan

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!