Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
BST: to keep or not to keep?

Posted by another_amanda 8 (My Page) on
Wed, May 4, 11 at 20:11

I hadn't intended on butterfly gardening this year, but I've had 3 lovely little black swallowtail caterpillars (I think) show up on my dill plant. Judging from life cycle pictures, all 3 have reached their 5th stage. The biggest is over 4 cm and the other two are catching up.

Photobucket

If I keep them, will I have any dill left for me? The dill is in a 1-gallon pot and is about 1 foot high. I had intended to let my caterpillars stay, but they're chowing down faster now, and I'd like to be able to eat some through the summer (dill, not caterpillars). This is also my first year growing dill.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: BST: to keep or not to keep?

Definitely keep them! They're nearly through growing and eating, so you won't lose much more of your dill, and dill regrows very quickly. They ate mine down to the nub, and it's making a lot of nice new growth.
The butterflies they turn into are just beautiful!
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Sherry

o

You could plant fennel or parsley as a alternate crop to feed them (or future cats) on.

Lisa

o

The funny thing with them is the dill always comes back thicker and better I love these guys just had my first 10 only 5 made it to that size.Hope to see more soon.
Angie

o

Thank you! I'm glad to hear that they'll be pupating soon. Internet searches have given me no information on an average length of time. I kept thinking, "Well guys, I'd like to let you hang out, but soon you'll be the size of small dogs and I'll be out of food."

My cats are actually right next to a big pot of parsley, but they've been hanging out exclusively on the dill. I guess that's good for me, since I eat more parsley than dill. I'm glad to hear that the dill will come back nicely once they've moved on. I'll definitely be planting more of this stuff next year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here