Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mschaetz

Tomato Hornworm Egg Cycle Photos

mschaetz
12 years ago

I have take a few photos to show the progress of the hornworm egg. I thought they turned out kinda cool and thought I would share.

{{gwi:477241}}

{{gwi:477243}}

{{gwi:477245}}

{{gwi:477247}}

{{gwi:477249}}

Comments (14)

• MissSherry
    12 years ago

Those pictures are absolutely fantastic!
    Isn't it funny how the hatchlings already have the LONG horn?
    That picture of the hatchling coming out of the egg is as good as I've seen - do you have a macro lens on your camera? What kind of camera do you have?
    Sherry

• mschaetz
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks so much, I really love taking pictures. I have a Nikon D90 and use a 105mm Macro with a 2X teleconverter lens. My favorite is the one of the cat eating its egg shell. And then the last one that reminds me of a wiener dog... :D

• jrcagle
    12 years ago

Unbelievable photos! Thanks for posting.

Jeff

• catherinet
    12 years ago

Wow! Incredible pics! Hornworms are so cool. Never saw pics like this before. Thanks! LOL.......you're right about the wiener dog!

• soonergrandmom
    12 years ago

Lisa, Your photography is amazing, but the subject.....well maybe there should be one last picture.

• bananasinohio
    12 years ago

Awesome! I felt like I was on the leaf with it hatching! Thanks for sharing.
    -Elisabeth

• Cindy_C
    12 years ago

What a great series of pictures!

• Lisa_H OK
    12 years ago

I sent soonergrandmom over here from the Oklahoma forum....she's not quite as excited about hornworm photos as the butterfly enthusiasts! LOL

Carol, I didn't take them. I only wish my photography was that good!!!

Great pics! I absolutely find them fascinating.

Lisa

• mschaetz
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I don't mind hornworm haters. My mother, who knows I am excited about them, just smooshed one last week on her plant before she realized she should have saved it for me. ;D

Thanks so much for all of the compliments too on the photos. Photography is another fairly new hobby for me, and I am loving it.

Melissa

• susanlynne48
    12 years ago

I always suggest that the "hornworm haters" grow a few extra plants - especially those that are shy in producing tomatoes, just for the hornworms. They can then remove the leaf on their valued tomatoe plants and put it on the plants grown especially for hornworms. But only if they value them as pollinators in their gardens.

Susan

• biradarcm
    12 years ago

Lisa, These pictures are magnificent and absolutely fantastic macros! I am planning buy Canon 760D, but your Nikon90D looks ideal. What is your recommendation for Macro (flowers and vegetables) and Telephotos (birds)...

I am thinking about following DSLR System;

Canon 60D + 18-135mm Kit Lens : 1300 $
    Canon 10-300mm IS USM Lens : 500 $
    Canon 50mm Lens : 130 $
    Total : 1930 $

Cheers -Chandra

• mschaetz
    Original Author
    12 years ago

If I had it to do over again I would go with a Canon. Overall the lenses run less expensive and with adapters other brand name lenses can be used with the Canon camera. Say you found a cheap Nikon macro lens (or already own one) you can purchase this mounting adapter (about $20) and use it on your Canon. This can not be done with the Nikon, no adapters are made for them. :(

• bandjzmom
    12 years ago

Wow. Those really are incredible shots. Thanks so much for sharing them with us.~~Angie

• Staci Davis
    8 months ago

I can’t see the photos and I need too bc I’m not sure if what I have are hornworm eggs or not.