Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
artist_gardener

Best place to buy milkweed

artist-gardener
9 years ago

Would you please tell me the best place to buy milkweeds? I live in N. Mississippi. Thank you!

Comments (10)

• Debra Vessels
    9 years ago

I do not know where you might get any locally.
    I ordered mine from prairienursery.com
    I thought their prices were reasonable, and the shipping charge was less than it would cost me for gas to go to the nearest city to look for it.
    I haven't received it yet, but I will leave a post when I do.
    They do have a good rating on 'Dave's Garden'
    Debra

• KC Clark - Zone 2012-6a OH
    9 years ago

I bought seeds for multiple milkweed species from Prairie Nursery this year. Unfortunately, the selection is not as good now because they sold out of stuff but they still have butterflyweed, swamp (they call it Red), and common. I've always had good luck with the company.

KC

• KC Clark - Zone 2012-6a OH
    9 years ago

Just realized I got confused about which Prairie Nursery is which.

I got my Sullivant's milkweed from Prairie Nursery back in 2010. Bought 7 plants. They have done very well. I've since used Prairie Nursery for other plants but no more milkweed. Got my New Jersey Tea from them. Currently have a special on NJT.

I got this year's milkweed seeds from Prairie Moon Nursery. They still have a decent variety of milkweed seeds in stock.

• Debra Vessels
    9 years ago

Thanks kcclark, for clarifying, Prairie Nursery has A. Incarnata and seed but they were sold out on many other milkweed. I will be sure to order earlier next spring. Still a good place to order from. I depends on what Milkweed you are looking for.

• Leafhead
    9 years ago

It's encouraging to see Milkweed sell out. It shows that quite a few people care about the Monarch and other butterflies. I'm glad to see a healthy market for Milkweed.

John

• tdr4
    9 years ago

I live in South MS. I have Milkweed coming up all over from seeds that fell last summer. It is easy to grow from seeds. I have seen it at Home Depot and Lowes. I saw it last week at Andres, a small locally owned nursery. I wish you were closer I would give you some.

• Leafhead
    9 years ago

I have heard too many horror stories about Big Box store plants.
    Home Depot and Lowe's are apt to use pesticides on their plants, so I would stick with wild collected Milkweed or ones bought at a local farmers' market or garden center.

John

• Beth Willett
    9 years ago

I've bought all my milkweed from nice nurseries, until the last one I purchased from Lowes. Next week I had a dying caterpillar under it! I also noticed that there are no aphids on it, so I'm guess they may use some kind of systemic pesticide. Don't trust them! Our local Green thumb nursery told me milkweed is their number one seller and they can't keep them in stock! They fly off the shelves:)

• Debra Vessels
    9 years ago

I ordered two 'Ice Ballet' from Burpee Seeds in ealry april that are nice and tall, but no blooms just yet, I have had a few yellow aphids that I wiped off and a few lady bugs staying busy on them, so far so good. I am very pleased with my order from Prairie Nursery of 5 Red Swamp Milkweed, and 3 Liatris, they are still small but doing well. I would buy from them again. I also ordered seed for red milkweed from Prairie Nursery that I will winter sow. I also ordered 2 orange butterfly weed from Burpee, only one sprouted, and is still very small, too much shade I am afraid, if it ever blooms I will try to save some seed. So far, for my first year of milkweed, I am pleased with my purchases, I am just patiently waiting for some blooms.

• Kristy Asao
    9 years ago

I found this, when I asked around on Twitter for help. It displays some local plant places.

Here is a link that might be useful: Suncrest nurseries