Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christie_sw_mo

Who's curling up in my artemisia Valerie Finnis leaves?

christie_sw_mo
15 years ago

I found three cats at the top of my Valerie Finnis plants with leaves folded over them. They reminded me a little of buckeye cats but not exactly the same. Any idea what they might be?

Comments (4)

• khakitag
    15 years ago

American lady butterflies use artemisia as a host, and the caterpillars are similar to buckeyes. My book says they live in leaves stuck together.
    Shari

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Shari - That's great news! I'll take another look at them tomorrow but I think that must be it since they stick the leaves together. The Valerie Finnis is pretty and has reeeally taken off since last year, so much that I wondered if I was going to regret planting it. Glad it's being useful.

• susanlynne48
    15 years ago

Congrats, Christie! I have leaves stuck together on my cudweed right now. Too scared to look because I'm afraid I will dislodge some cats! These are tiny yet.

Susan

• linda_centralokzn6
    15 years ago

Congrats, Christie!!! I have the "White sage"- artemesia ludoviciana, but did not know that it was called "Valerie Finnis". A butterfly friend, Marilyn highly recommended it last year for the Painted Ladies. I am currently raising PLs on it. And, I have found that APLs use it,also. I am currently raising them on it. I am VERY pleased with it. Full sun, good drainage, no extra water. And, the cuttings last for days in water without wilting, which makes it very easy to bring in the cuttings with nests, leave the nests, and just add fresh cuttings to the container as needed. They seem to stay in their nests, and wander off to eat. Watch them carefully, as the birds and wasps check the plants out daily. I know that I have lost several. Works much better than the malva that wilts terribly when cuttings are taken. I had forgotten the PL chrys. were so beautiful, washed with gold.

Good luck, and keep us posted. Thanks for sharing.

Glad that you've got some APLs on Cudweed, Susan!!! :) I sure hope that I can get my cudweed to survive this summer. My finger's finally healed, but still pretty sensitive. I am waaay behind in my garden. Are you going to Paseo? I plan to be there on Saturday. Will Sandy be gone on her trip?