Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeanner_gw

Zebra chyrsalis - is it ready to eclose

jeanner
13 years ago

This chrysalis spent the winter in the garage until a few weeks ago when I moved the container to the front porch. It has remained the same until yesterday when it seemed like it was getting darker in color. Tonight I noticed a crack in the chrysalis .... please tell me this is a good thing and it is ready to eclose!

{{gwi:478324}}

Comments (18)

• MissSherry
    13 years ago

Yes - congratulations!
    My chrysalides were green, but they got the same circular crack near the bottom right before they emerged. I had thought it might mean the butterfly had tried to emerge but couldn't, and had died, but not so.
    Tomorrow will probably be the big day! :)
    Sherry

• bananasinohio
    13 years ago

Wow, you guys are so observant! I have never noticed the crack before. I always like how they look like they have popped a little escape hatch. Especially since such a large butterfly comes out of such a small chrysalis. I haven't seen any in the wild yet here in Dayton.
    -Elisabeth

• jeanner
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It did emerge today! It is so fun to see them in their pristine condition. I guess now I will have to start checking my pawpaws for eggs .... Elisabeth do you need any for your house?

• butterflymomok
    13 years ago

Awesome picture! Congrats on the Zebra Swallowtail.

• jeanner
    Original Author
    13 years ago

And here, drying it's wings ....

{{gwi:478326}}

• MissSherry
    13 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous!

Can you tell me what type camera you have?

Sherry

• bernergrrl
    13 years ago

Congrats! Gorgeous!

• jeanner
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sherry, I am using a Canon 50D with a 100mm macro lens for those shots.

So how do you tell the sex of a zebra swallowtail??

• MissSherry
    13 years ago

The only pictures I've got showing the sex of zebra swallowtails are in Florida Butterfly Gardening by Minno & Minno. The only noticeable difference the picture shows between male and female ZSTs is that the red spots on the upper side of males are merged. Here's a picture I took of the first of my two ZSTs that emerged earlier this spring that must have been a male -
    {{gwi:461809}}
    And here's a picture of the second one, that must have been a female, because her red spots are separated, like the female in the picture -
    {{gwi:461991}}
    Of course, there's no guarantee that Minno & Minno are right - there's a picture in the Audubon Butterfly Field Guide that shows a female palamedes swallowtail as a male. Did you take any pictures of the upper side of your zebra?
    I had hoped mine would mate or find other mates and I'd get some eggs on my pawpaws, but I've gotten no eggs so far this year.
    Sherry

• jeanner
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you Sherry!

Looks like it might be a male then.

{{gwi:478329}}

• bananasinohio
    13 years ago

Jeanne, yes, we could use them at the house. Thanks.

Sherry, I can tell by examining the abdomens. I will start looking closer to see if the spots are merged or not on the males. I love this amature science stuff!

-Elisabeth

• MissSherry
    13 years ago

'Looks like a male to me, jeanner.
    Do the males have claspers or are their abdomens just pointed, with the females' abdomens being rounded, Elisabeth?
    Sherry

• jeanner
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Elisabeth, I have eggs and the cutest little first instars - let me know if you still want some for the house!

• skinnyhoops
    13 years ago

What do the zebra swallowtail cats go after most of the time? If I can get some host plants in my garden, perhaps I can attract some swallowtails in my area. hehe

Right now I'm rearing several Monarchs with milkweed. I have 3 chrysalis, 14 cats and 2 eggs waiting to hatch.

• KC Clark - Zone 2012-6a OH
    13 years ago

In 9b Florida:
    Annona glabra
    Asimina incana
    Asimina obovata
    Asimina parviflora
    Asimina reticulata

The incana, parviflora and reticulata are all shrubs that top out at 6' so they might be your best bet if you are looking for something on the smaller side.

KC

• bananasinohio
    13 years ago

Jeanne;
    Yes, yes, yes! We don't have any this year. The ones that emerged didn't mate. Our paw paw is looking gorgeous this year LOL! The house officially opened today. I was there this morning and it looks great. We have tons of monarchs already. This year is the year of the pipevine. We have quite a few adults and I counted over 40 cats on various vines. We had one giant swallowtail eclose today, with many more to follow. I released some milbert's tortoiseshells today in the house and they are doing well. I released some QMs a few weeks back. There are only two that I saw today but I counted 37 plus cats on the nettles. We are off to a great start. You can email me (bigoldbulldog@hotmail.com) to let me know how you want to get them to us, or drop by the house between 10 - 4 pm.
    -Elisabeth

• catherinet
    13 years ago

Jeanne,
    As usual, your pics are incredible!

• KC Clark - Zone 2012-6a OH
    11 years ago

Jean is working a zillion hours a week these days which is why she is not gracing us with her amazing photos. :( She wrote me that she is making time to raise some ZSTs because she "cannot resist them."