Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trifecta!

Posted by tom123 z9 Fl. (tbyrnes2545@gmail.com) on
Wed, Jun 4, 14 at 5:59

Yesterday morning I saw a beautiful Palamedes. I almost got a picture of him or her, but she was chased away by a Gulf Fritillary.

Around noon I spotted a gorgeous yellow Tiger. She was so yellow I thought at first she was a sulpher, but then I saw the black and the tail.

A little later I saw a Spicebush fluttering around.

Both the Palamedes and the Spicebush were firsts this year. I can't remember seeing all three of these the same day.

Summer is really kicking into gear.

Tom

Central Florida, Zone 9B

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trifecta!

Woo Hoo!! That's great, Tom!

Two of my palamedes cats have made their chrysalis, 10 of my 14 spicebush cats have made theirs, and my only tiger made its chrysalis, also. I should be seeing some swallowtails in the near future.

Palamedes swallowtails have such pretty undersides, prettier than their topside in my opinion -

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I still worry about their future, what with their host plant being under attack.

I haven't seen any fritillaries, gulf or variegated this year. Hopefully, that will soon change.

Sherry

o

Wonderful news Tom!! Happy for you. When Spring kicks in, we all get antsy to see the butterflies. Here in NW GA, it is late summer-early fall when I actually get to see the most. I just saw my first Great spangled Frit the other day, and I was as excited as always!~~Angie

o

Congrats, Angie. It's interesting how we see different butterflies. Gulf Frits are very common now. I don't know that I would recognize a Great Spangled Frit. We don't get them this far south, I don't believe.

Still looking for the first Pipevine and Queen here. I should be seeing the Pipevines pretty soon. I was hoping that I would see more Queens this year since I have this new white vine (Sarcostemma clausum) growing up all over.

o

Hang in there Tom; you'll see Queens soon enough as soon as they discover your Sarcostemma. They can detect it from miles away. You may even see a stray Soldier as well. The more Whitevine you have, the bigger the target.
PS: Polydamas isn't out of the question for you either...

John

o

John, I see Polydamas pretty much all the time, every day. Same now for Monarchs and Frits. I also will see a Giant or two every day, but not all the time.

The other three are more rare.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here