Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Just a joyful ramble.

Posted by docmom z5 MI (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 2, 11 at 6:40

I've been wanting to post, but didn't want to bore everyone. But, too bad. I'm just so excited about this year's butterflying potential. I've been growing butterfly plants for at least ten years, but finally have a house with a yard/garden large enough to support a great diversity of plants. Last year I finally had Monarch eggs and cats in my own yard and successfully raised more than 50 Monarchs and about 15 BST butterflies. I think I saw a Red Admiral? Is that their name? I don't have much time to spend identifying and observing. I just provide the environment. Fast forward to this spring. I know most people are frustrated by all the rain we've had, but I'm thrilled. I have literally thousands of volunteer native seedlings sprouting in my garden beds, and the rain has allowed them to flourish. I can't imagine how many butterflies I'll attract this year! I'd attempt to list my plants, but my daughter wants to use the computer before she leaves for school. Just wanted to share my excitement. Happy Gardening!

Martha

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Just a joyful ramble.

I don't blame you for being excited, I would be excited too. I have been raising Monarch since 2007, last year I raised 617! I hope to raise BST also, planted dill and fennel in hopes to attract some. Have a fun year!

o

Martha, Congratulations on your garden and its flourishing this year! It does make a person so happy, and we can all share in your joy.

Regarding the identifying, I started taking pictures and identifying when I had a little downtime. It adds a dimension to the enjoyment, but I get the time at a premium issue, particularly if you work.

Look forward to hearing more about your garden and butterflies. You can't bore us. ;)

o

Martha, You can never bore the butterfly people with enthusiasm about attracting more of them!! LOL Buy yourself a nice butterfly book and spend some time studying it. It's very exciting to be able to ID the beauties that flit in to partake of your provisions. I really love this butterfly book, especially for beginners. It's one that I go back to time and time again. Can be had inexpensively on amazon.com. As they come in this summer, snap some pics of them, and take not of which flowers seem to attract more of them. Then plant more of those next year!!~~Angie

Here is a link that might be useful: Nice butterfly book

o

Congrats, Martha!
Please send some of that rain this way! We're having a drought and could sure use it!
Nothing gives more happiness than butterflies!
Sherry

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here