Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
docmom_mn_zone_5

Extra plants

docmom_gw
9 years ago

My butterfly garden is in it's third season, so many plants are filling out and my original layer of mulch has broken down. This spring has also been ideal for germination of volunteer seeds and rapid growth of seedlings from last year. I've promised my husband to try to maintain some order among the plants, so I really need to remove many of those volunteers. My question, should I take the trouble to pot these up and donate or sell them cheaply? Or should I just get rid of them? I could move some of them, but it's later in the season for that.

Martha

Comments (4)

• bernergrrl
    9 years ago

I would try to donate them or if you are up to it, put in a butterfly garden at a local library or school. Your plants will probably also be able to be divided or pull up rhizomes, etc.

I germinated too many of some things, and I am just putting them in some plastic wrap (I keep a lot of the plastic bags everything comes in) and rubber band them and set them out on my front yard with a sign indicating plants are free and what they are.

• caterwallin
    9 years ago

Martha,
    I certainly wouldn't toss them if I were you. Surely there's someone out there who will take them for free. Hopefully whoever gets them will appreciate them and butterflies as much as you do. Whether you donate them locally or send them to someone is up to you. I used to send plants to people for postage, but it's a ton of work...very time consuming and I'm not sure people realize that. Although I love sharing with people, with the amount of gardens that I have to weed, etc. my husband pointed out that I could be using all of that time to work in the gardens that I spent packaging someone's plants to mail (a couple hours per person) I guess when I put out gardens over the years, I went overboard and don't really have time to enjoy them a whole lot. I do make sure that I take the time to raise cats though! I don't mean to sound stingy, but if you'd see all of the garden space I take care of, I think you'd know what I mean. My husband thinks I'm nuts. LOL

So unless you don't have a lot of plants to mail someone, I'd give them away locally.
    Cathy

• docmom_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the responses. So far, I haven't had time to do anything with them, so I'll just let them grow where they are. I'm amazed at the number of birds we have in our yard this year and I'm wondering what might explain the increase. My butterfly garden has been in for three years, now. We have left some huge piles of oak leaves on the ground, which are constantly being poked at and dug into. And, this spring has been a perfect mixture of rain and sun. I'm also feeding live mealworms to my wild birds, since I was worried by the reports of dwindling pollinator populations. I know baby birds can't eat seed, yet need plenty of protein for growth. My feeder is extraordinarily popular, especially with the robins. So, whatever is going on, we have birds everywhere and every time we set foot outside. Fun, though my meticulous neighbors may not be thrilled. Oh,well. Can't please everyone.

Martha

• heavenlyfarm
    9 years ago

Oh!! Pot them up, donate them, sell them (more money to buy a few more plants? ;) , or send them to people or give them away. Even tho my gardens are relatively new this year, I really appreciated every seed trade, every donation of extra seeds and plants from family and friends! Get as many people "infected" as possible and spread your plants around the world! Lol its like a takeover and the butterflies would appreciate it, I think!
    ~michael

Sponsored