Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wellingtoncdm

Just starting with butterflies.

wellingtoncdm
9 years ago

Hi I'm in south Florida and just starting with butterflies. I have porter weed, lantana, fire bush and tropical milkweed. Any other suggestions??
Thanks!

Comments (9)

• docmom_gw
    9 years ago

I always recommend Swamp milkweed for the Monarchs. It is a native that grows across most of the US, except the hot, dry west. It is also a great nectar source for other butterflies and hummingbirds. It does not spread aggressively, so fits in well in traditional gardens. In cold regions it dies back to the ground each year, so may need to be cut back in fall in your climate.

For Black Swallowtails, if you have them in your region, plant dill, fennel, carrots, parsley, or Rue.

For basic, all summer nectar, I like to plant annual zinnias.

Martha

• Tom
    9 years ago

I suggests passionvines if possible. They will give you Zebra Longwings and Gulf Fritillaries. If you want to attract Polydamas and Pipevines I suggest Aristolochia tomentosa or, Dutchman's Pipevine, You can purchase these online at Vincent Gardens or Mail-Order Natives.

The absolute best nectar plant for me in Central Florida is the tall red penta. It attracts every butterfly that I know of that uses flowers for nectar in Florida.

The four plants that you mention are excellent butterfly attractors. The firebush is also excellent for hummingbirds, as might be the porterweed, depending upon what type it is.

• MissSherry
    9 years ago

Ditto to what Tom said. Passionvines and pipevines will give you so much - I'd love to have zebra longwings AND gulf frits, plus you'll get polydamas/goldrims from the pipevines.

Once you get those established, then you could add more host plants. If I were in south Florida, I'd plant the host plant for malachites (green shrimp plants) and white peacocks (bacopa).

But you can't do everything at once.

Sherry

• Leafhead
    9 years ago

Cassia bicapsularis and C. serratensis bring in the Sulfurs and Coonties (Zamia pumula) support the rare and beautiful Atalas.
    For the day flying Snowcap Moth, I recommend Breynia.
    Lawn weeds should include Desmodium for the Long Tailed Skippers. Cannas invite the Brazilian Skipper into your garden. Wild Lime for Giant Swallowtails.
    Whitevine (Sarcostemma glauca) attracts and supports Soldiers and Queens, as well as Monarchs.
    For nectar, Lantanas, Clarodendrons, Jatrophas and Cestrum diurnum are up there with Pentas and Porterweed.
    Try Mexican Sunflower for hot sunny spots. The lowly and often weedy appearing Spanish Needle (Bidens) is a natural nectar machine, as well as being tasty steamed with a little butter or salad dressing.

John

• wellingtoncdm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the responses. I will look into the other plants. I purchased some red and yellow shrimp plants and have green shrimp plants already growing in the yard. I did find one passion vine today but it had red flowers not blue. I purchased a few on ebay though. I read the red is toxic. Any thoughts?

• wellingtoncdm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I also ordered butterfly bush online. Any clue how that will handle Zone 10?

• weed30 St. Louis
    9 years ago

I definitely recommend planting rue! It's a really pretty little bush, and a black swallowtail host plant. Giant swallowtails will also use it for a host plant, but it might not be one of their favorites, esp. in Fla. where there is so much citrus to choose from.

I linked some photos of rue below...keep in mind that some people get a reaction from handling the leaves/sap. I have never had a problem.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rue

• wellingtoncdm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Great. Thank you.

• Leafhead
    9 years ago

Wellington,
    Butterfly Bush does poorly in South Florida's alkaline soils and is subject to root-knot nematodes. There is an Australian Buddhlea that handles SoFla's soil and lack of season.
    It is yellow and doesn't smell so pretty but it still preforms well as a nectar plant.

John

Sponsored