Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bob_71

Agastache

bob_71
12 years ago

One of the favorite nectaring plants in my garden. Constantly in bloom from early summer 'til late fall. The abundance of blooms allows it to keep a crowd of butterflies and bees all day long. Anise Hyssop (Agastache foeniculum) is a light blue...I also grow Agastache 'Cotton Candy' for the first time this year. A bit too early to predict the comparitive qualities between the two. Usually has multiple butterflies nectaring at the same time. Thanks for taking a look.

Bob

New Agastache 'Cotton Candy'

{{gwi:480211}}

Agastache foeniculum 'Anise hyssop'

{{gwi:480212}}

{{gwi:480213}}

{{gwi:480214}}

Comments (14)

• msmorningsong
    12 years ago

Very lovely. Do the flowers have any type of perfume to attract, or do the butterflies recognize through color or some other way?

• KC Clark - Zone 2012-6a OH
    12 years ago

I was pleasantly surprised when I saw Agastache foeniculum is native to North America. Then I saw it is not native to Ohio :( I then found that some Agastache is native to Ohio so I'll have to do a little more research on which would be useful to me.

Thanks for the heads-up.

KC

Here is a link that might be useful: Agastache foeniculum

• bob_71
    Original Author
    12 years ago

MsMorningSong, The Agastaches are strongly fragrant. As a matter of fact, they are commonly referred to as "hummingbird mints". I usually see hummingbirds daily on these and other plants in my butterfly garden.

Bob

• spaceman13
    12 years ago

Great pics Bob!
    I have "Apache Sunset" a peach colored cultivar that I moved in spring to a sunnier spot. They are growing MUCH bigger, and are just starting to bloom.

• catherinet
    12 years ago

As usual, great pics Bob!
    Is Agastache the same thing as "hyssop"?

• bob_71
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Catherinet, Agastache is a genus of about a dozen species, one of which...Agastache foeniculum is the one that is referred to as Giant, or Anise, Hyssop.

Bob

• catherinet
    12 years ago

Thanks Bob,
    I have some stachys "pink cotton candy" and "hummelo". They look alot like Agastache. Are they somehow related?

• jilliebean9700
    12 years ago

beautiful. i want one but most say they dont do well in clay-does anyone know of a cultivar that will thrive in nc clay soils??

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

Jilliebean, I grow agastache (which I call bee-sicles) in our hard, red clay soil with great success. We've had some in the ground for 5 years, bigger and better each year. It is important that the soil drains reasonably well, though. Even clay soil can be terrific for growing all kinds of plants.

I wish I could remember the variety, but I can't. I'm sorely tempted to order some of the pinkish ones this year.

I keep some cut back so that the bloom period will last longer but I just HAVE to let some of it go to seed. It's something else to see those plants covered up with feeding gold finches.

Catherinet, stachys and agastache are in the same plant family, Lamiaceae/Labiatae (the mints).

• MissSherry
    12 years ago

Beautiful pictures, Bob!
    Hmmmm..... so agastache can be grown in Rhizo's part of Alabama.
    'Wonder if it will thrive in the Gulf Coastal Southeast?
    Sherry

• catherinet
    12 years ago

Thanks rhizo.

• jilliebean9700
    12 years ago

i will have to give them a try then i guess.

• catherinet
    12 years ago

I'm in zone 5. Sometimes they overwinter and sometimes they don't. They also seem to get mildew easily. They also attracted some new bugs. I forget the names of them...something like 5 or 9-spotted beetles. I'm growing them in more sunshine now and they seem to like that better. I wish they would come back every year. They're really great.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

I'm in Northern Alabama, not too far from the Tennessee border, if that helps.

Sponsored