Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mae_pop

Sad caterpillar morning...

Mae-pop
10 years ago

I had purchased 9 A. tuberosa milkweed plants for my new butterfly garden from a local big box store. I should have known better. When the butterflies weren't really to thrilled with it, I knew there was a pesticide problem, I went ahead and left it to see what would happen to the cats when they hatched. Sure enough, I found a black gooey body this morning and then another and then another. I was sick to my stomach.
My thoughts were confirmed, pesticides! I feel bad for every single person that pays the $ 6.00 in the hopes to teach their children about the lifecycle of butterflies or to support the local butterflies. How any company could sell milkweed doused in pesticide is beyond me! It is a purpose specific plant.
I proceeded to cut back every single plant to the ground in hopes that I could encourage new growth. Did I waste my time? Does anyone know if it is a systemic pesticide? I just got some tuberosa seed so I am going to start them today.
I did find some little babies on the plants and transferred them to some other milkweed. Luckily I have 8 other A. curvassica spelling??.
The butterflies and cats would not use this either and I cut way back and transferred and they have begun arriving, laying eggs, hatching and are thriving there.
Advice, information, or similar rants welcomed.

Comments (8)

• bandjzmom
    10 years ago

Oh gosh, how terrible. I'm so sorry that happened. Guess that is a great argument for us growing our own host plants,isn't it? I may have some Butterfly Weed seed and would be happy to send it if I do.~~Angie

• terrene
    10 years ago

How sad! I think it's likely the big box stores receive stock that is blanket sprayed with a systemic pesticide, regardless of the plant. That way they don't have to think about any pest problems, including caterpillars chewing on the leaves and making them unsightly.

I just picked up 4 eggs off the Bronze fennel plants at the nursery 2 days ago. They are darkening and will be hatching soon. I went and cut a new sprig of IORGANIC fennel from the garden for them and trimmed off the nursery's fennel as much as possible in case they used a pesticide.

• Mae-pop
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have some seeds from a packet I got at a store.. I'll plant those. Thank you so much for the offer Angie. Definitely worth planting own host plants!

• Sandpaper Tongue
    10 years ago

That's terrible! I'm so sorry you wasted your money on those plants, and how sad to see all those catepillars killed. You should name the store so we all know who it was!

I did some googling and I found a source that said systemic pesticides should be out of the plant in 12 months, so you should be okay for next year. I can't vouch for it, but I hope that's true!

(The site was dead so this is cached version)

Here is a link that might be useful: pesticides and milkweed

• ericwi
    10 years ago

There should be a labeling requirement when pesticides are used on plants for sale to customers. This could have been avoided.

• Mae-pop
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lowes

• MissSherry
    10 years ago

I'm so sorry to hear this, but, as everyone has said, we should plant our own host plants, unless we're sure the ones we buy don't have pesticides on or in them. Almost Eden mail-order nursery says they don't use pesticides on their A. curassavica, I've used it, and the monarch cats thrived, so they're one exception I know of.

Sherry

• Leafhead
    10 years ago

So sad to hear your news...
    I hope you have another visit soon and get some fat healthy cats.
    I had a similar experience c AL cats. The ones I left outside got sprayed by a careless neighbor "going around the perimeter" for ants. Dead cats everywhere! I could have screamed!
    Thank goodness I had some inside and some Anaphalis/antennaria away from the building...
    Not to mention all the cats at my job site:)

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?