Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mcronin_gw

butterflies in camelot

mcronin
12 years ago

I did a butterfly count on my walk through my butterfly sanctuary from 3-3:15 today and spotted 45 butterflies-the best day yet. Pipevine swallowtails were most plentiful but I spotted about 9 other species. One big surprise, even though about 45 of my 60 butterfly bushes are now blooming, the biggest butterfly magnet was bottlebrush buckeye. I spotted 1 Spicebush swallowtail and 4 Pipevine swallowtails on ONE of my 20 bottlebrush buckeyes. If you haven't seen a big bottlebrush buckeye in full bloom, you've missed a real treat. Try Google images to see what you've missed.

MIKE

Comments (12)

• butterflymomok
    12 years ago

That's exciting, Mike. I love the bottlebrush buckeyes but don't have one planted. Since your zone is the same as mine, I need to consider putting one in. I'm wondering about the other 9 species you saw. One species was the Spicebush, which I haven't seen here yet. So, what else is out there? Are you experiencing the hot temps that the mid section has been experiencing for the last 6 weeks?

It's good to see you back. Many thoughts and prayers have been sent your way.

Sandy

• MissSherry
    12 years ago

I've got a bottlebrush buckeye growing just outside the picket fence around my front yard, Mike, and it IS quite a sight when it's in bloom! The butterflies nectar on it, but for some unlucky reason, I never have my camera in my pocket when I go that way.
    Keep counting those butterflies and keeping us posted.
    Sherry

• bananasinohio
    12 years ago

That is ironic! I have been looking at the bottlebrush buckeyes in bloom here in Ohio and thinking how much I love them. I didn't realize they were butterfly magnets. I may have to get one since I live in the Buckeye state! Glad you had such a good day Mike.
    Cheers,
    Elisabeth

• bettyd_z7_va
    12 years ago

Hi Mike,

Great to 'see' you here. I saw a black (probably some type of swallowtail) butterfly in my yard today. It was sort of spastic in the way it flew, but it never got close enough for me to see what kind it was.

Eli and I planted 3 of my new 'Little Joe' JPW, and 3 of the Butterfly Bushes you gave us as well as a fennel and a coreopsis today. My back is really complaining! But, I don't care. I would rather be outside planting flowers than eat when I'm hungry!

Then Alfred, Terry and Eli went fishing. I planted one of the Fountain Butterfly Bush cuttings that you gave us and Alfred rooted. I'm so excited! I can't wait until everything blooms!

I'm glad you have so many Butterflies. Where did you get your Bottlebrush Buckeyes? I may have to order a couple.

The butterflies are taking their time showing up here. We may have to come back to your place to get our Butterfly 'fix'!!

Have a good night.

Hugs,
    Betty

• larry_gene
    12 years ago

You are 44 butterflies ahead of me this time around, Mike.

• susanlynne48
    12 years ago

Hi, Mike! Been thinking about you and here you are posting. So good to see your post about Camelot! I was so lucky to see Robert Goulet's stage performance in that play.

We are a few butterflies short of Camelot here in OKC. But it is so nice to hear that you are having a good year. Keep in touch and let us know how your summer progresses.

Susan

• terrene
    12 years ago

Hi Mike! It's nice to see you posting and it's great to hear that Camelot is full of butterflies!

For years I have been smitten with Bottlebrush Buckeye. Such a beautiful shrub, as is Aesculus pavia, which is supposed to attract hummingbrids. Doubt they would grow well here though - too cold. I've seen some butterfly activity here, but we keep having wet, cool periods of weather, which is no doubt discouraging to the butterflies.

• christie_sw_mo
    12 years ago

Sounds wonderful to see so many butterflies. Yesterday was a good day here, the first day it wasn't unbearable windy in quite awhile. But I only saw six or eight butterflies when I walked around my yard.

I have two butterfly bushes (Pink Delight) and they're not blooming yet. I need more flowers! My only butterfly magnets that are blooming right now are echinaceas and v. bonariensis. Which of your butterfly bushes was the first to bloom? Is Bottlebrush Buckeye earlier?

I planted about 20 feet of zinnias but will have to wait another month to see flowers on those.

• mcronin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

First, I must tell all of you how much your support means to me during this difficult period without my beloved Karen. This wonderful Forum has been one of my major sources of strength in my attempts to cope.

I'll try to answer your questions:

Sandy,
    In addition to Pipevines, I spotted Spicebush,Tigers,and Black swallowtails,Hairstreaks, Tawny and Hackberry emperors,Silver-spotted skippers, Great Spangled fritillaries and azures.

Betty,

You're welcome to visit anytime and take care of that back.

Susan,

What a thrill to see Rbt. Goulet on stage in Camelot.Did I ever tell any of you why Karen and I chose the name CAMELOT for our one-acre butterfly sanctuary?
    "In short, there's simply not
    a more congenial spot
    for happily ever-aftering
    than here in Camelot."

Christie,

The Fountain butterfly bush blooms first and the Black night second in my garden

Bottlebrush buckeye blooms about the same time as the Black night and Honeycomb butterfly bushes in my garden.

mike

• bettyd_z7_va
    12 years ago

Mike,

I'm so excited because all of my cuttings from the Fountain Butterfly Bush you gave me rooted great, except for the ones that had the wooded stems.

This is the first time I've ever been successful at propagating anything. Betty says you've created a monster (in a good way) because I can't wait to try to propagate something else.

Your instructions worked to a 'T'. I'm also working on some Butterfly patterns with some scrap metal at work. I'm having a little trouble making a pattern because I'm not that good at freehand art.

I've also got a way to go to get a smooth cut, but Betty likes my first couple of tries.

Thanks so much for the cuttings, instructions and encouragement.

I'm looking forward to seeing you again.

Alfred

• mcronin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Alfred,

I feel the same way when propagation works. Many of us talk about our obsessions with butterfly gardening and we're glad to have you join us in our butterfly mania.

Looking forward to many more visits-both ways.

mike

• butterflymomok
    12 years ago

Mike,

Thanks for sharing your list of sightings. You are getting some good butterflies. I am looking forward to my first Spicebush Swallowtail of the season. I did a presentation today at our local Nature park (Oxley) and caught sight of quite a few of the Spicebushes. The butterflies were nectaring on the native lavender-colored bee balm. I got to share caterpillars with lots of kids, in honor of Pollinator's week. And I was approached about helping to develop an outdoor classroom at one of the local high schools. Love getting to develop new habitats!

Sandy

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living