Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bandjzmom

And...we have PUPATION!!!!!

bandjzmom
10 years ago

The first little Spicebush cat has JUST now pupated. I missed seeing it by mere minutes. (darn it)

Comments (11)

• bandjzmom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another view! So awesome! ~Angie

• bandjzmom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Second Spicebush cat attached and ready to rumble. When do I expect eclosure?

• Sandpaper Tongue
    10 years ago

What did the cat pupate on? Directly on the plastic wall of the habitat? Pretty cool!!

Can't wait to see the butterflies!

• Sandpaper Tongue
    10 years ago

What did the cat pupate on? Directly on the plastic wall of the habitat? Pretty cool!!

Can't wait to see the butterflies!

• bandjzmom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, they both attached directly to the wall of the plastic container even though I had placed 2 sticks inside for them to use.. So cool, right? :o)

• Mary Leek
    10 years ago

Fantastic photos! Thank you so much for sharing.

I still haven't seen my little spicebush cats during the day. I know they're busy eating at night because of the leaf holes and tiny frass in the bottom of the cage.

About how long did your cats take to reach this stage? Do they ever come out of hiding during the day?

Mary

• bandjzmom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Welcome Mary. So happy that you enjoy them. Yes, once they got larger, I did see them out sometimes during the day, but they were not eating during the day. I kept the container in my sun room, but I placed it where it got NO direct sun at all. Ok, I just checked my notes, and I found the little cats on May 17th and brought them inside.The first one pupated today. That is 21 days. They purged and attached for pupation VERY quickly after they turned yellow.

• MissSherry
    10 years ago

Congrats, congrats! They've pupated successfully, so it won't be too long before you have spicebush swallowtails!

I released my first red-spotted purple today, and I found 3 cloudless sulphur cats (green, no flowers yet) on the partridge peas - there are probably more. I may or may not raise them myself.

Post pictures when your butterflies emerge!

Sherry

• Mary Leek
    10 years ago

bandjzmon,

Thank you for this additional information. This will give me some idea as to when they might pupate. The colors are amazing! I can only hope my little cats do as well as yours have done.

Mary

• bandjzmom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Sherry and Mary. I just kept a close check on them, kept plenty of fresh food in, kept them out of the sun, and kept frass emptied out. I ended up using the floral water tubes for the Spicebush cuttings, and that seemed to work best.~~~Angie

• Leafhead
    10 years ago

Awesome pix... It sure has been quite a journey from 2nd instar to pupa... keep up the great photos!

Sponsored