Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spiroan

BST Chrysalides

spiroan
9 years ago

Hi everyone,

I mentioned in an earlier post about my BST chrysalides that weren't eclosing. It is now flirting with 5 weeks since they first made them, so I've pretty much all but given up on them. I've been putting them outside on a table under an umbrella for the past several days, hoping that would help them, but nothing.

However, I have four or five more caterpillars that seem very close to making their chrysalides now and more on the way after that. And I'm hoping to get it right this time. So, I thought I would ask your advice. Does anyone have negative thoughts about putting them outside under an umbrella during the day (I don't have a covered patio) and bringing them in at night? The area where I have been putting them essentially gets sun until about noon and then is shaded. And under the umbrella, the cage only gets "direct" sun for maybe 30 minutes around 7:30 or 8:00 in the morning. What are your thoughts?

Comments (18)

• runmede
    9 years ago

Location?

Try misting them with water once a day. But be very careful about too much sun. You could also put them under an incandescent table lamp about 1 1/2 ft away. If you have a temperature gage, check to make sure temp is not above 87.

Keep a good light on your other caterpillars, I use a broad spectrum light that I got at target. Inside they do not get the clues for day length.

Lastly, Mother Nature does not put all her eggs in one basket. Some pupae will take longer to emerge. I had a couple from an wintering over group that didn't hatch until mid summer. Staggering over emergence can prevent extinction.

• spiroan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, runmede. So much good information!

To answer your question, I am just north of Dallas, Texas. The temperature is already getting into the 90s here, and I'm sure it will be into the 100s sometime next month at the latest. The caterpillars seem to be doing fine under the umbrella with the heat, but it seems impossible to tell with the chrysalides.

Is the table lamp just a normal lamp? Or is "incandescent" some special thing?

Is the "broad spectrum light" just a normal sized bulb, or do I need something special to hold it? If it is a normal sized bulb, could I just put that bulb in the lamp?

With the lamps, do you keep them on all the time, or are they on some sort of a timer?

Wow! Raising these caterpillars is more complicated than I thought. Hopefully, I'll get it figured out without losing a bunch of them.

Thanks for all the info.

• runmede
    9 years ago

See the link below for Sunlight lamps from Amazon.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sunlight Lamps

• runmede
    9 years ago

The incandescents are just regular light bulbs and not florescent ones.

• spiroan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I just got a funny phone call. My little girl is 3, and she just called and said, "Daddy, my caterpillars have diarrhea. Are they OK?"

My guess is not too many people outside of this forum have received that phone call. But I'm sure everyone here knows exactly what's going on and many of you have probably received that call. Thanks to ya'll, I have a good idea of what's going on, too.

Hopefully, these will eclose.

Thanks, Runmede, for all the great info.

• runmede
    9 years ago

LOL!! How cute is that. We absolutely know what she is talking about. All our swallowtails get diarrhea. And, if you ever raise moths, they get diarrhea, too. Huge diarrhea.

You don't have to absolutely have a daylight lamp, but I feel that it helps when I am rearing caterpillars away from the hot sun of direct sunlight through a window.

• bandjzmom
    9 years ago

I am no expert, but I have raised a goodly number of Black Swallowtails. My advice would be to not give up. Just put them somewhere where you can keep a frequent eye out for an eclosure, and then forget about them and move on with life. They can take a really long time to decide to eclose. Don't worry. :) ~~Angie

• spiroan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Angie for the reassurance. As you can see, patience isn't my strength. So, I will try to be patient and wait them out.

• bandjzmom
    9 years ago

YEP, you have to be patient with those guys. I have had them to pupate in July and not eclose until the following April or May. Never give up on a Swallowtail chrysalis unless it is rotten and crumbling! :) :)

• MissSherry
    9 years ago

My record with a black swallowtail chrysalis is 18 months - I'm not kidding, it really happened!

Maybe yours are the long lived type, spiroan!

Sherry

• spiroan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

WOW! From July to the next April or May and 18 months are a LONG time! I just assumed they would eclose relatively quickly if they pupated in the summer. Maybe I'll get a more solid milkweed patch growing. At least I could be a little more confident with what monarchs may do.

• spiroan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just wanted to share with everyone that one of the chrysalides eclosed. It was a newer one, but a beautiful female. We let it go that afternoon, and it was really neat to watch her fly away. I'm still not sure if I'm doing things correctly or not, but it makes me feel better to know that at least one of them made it.

Thanks for all your help. Hoping to see more soon!

• docmom_gw
    9 years ago

Wonderful! I'm so glad you got to see it fly away. I've not raised many, but I always left the chrysalis out doors in a protected spot. They all appear to have eclosed, but not that I got a chance to see.

Martha

• Leafhead
    9 years ago

That's the way I prefer it too, Martha.
    I raise all my cats to the mid 5th instar then outside they go. I just gets too hairy feeding all those cats, esp BSTs. I still feel like I'm giving them a huge head start this way.

I have my eye on 3 Mourning Cloak pupae I discovered in the garden. I hope to catch all three eclosing soon, since I'm off days.

John

• bandjzmom
    9 years ago

Good news Spiroan!! Congrats. See, patience is the key! Never give up on those Swallowtail chrysalides. :) Angie

• Debra Vessels
    9 years ago

Spiroan, that is great news, and how exciting that you got to see it fly away. Mine all went to chrysalis in the garden, so I will never really know. I might decide to raise some inside next year if I have as many eggs as I did this year.
    Congrats, Deb

• spiroan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Two more have eclosed since. My little girl has let all three of them go, and they actually seem to enjoy staying on her shirt for a while after she goes outside. So, she just sits and poses for my wife to take pics. Since the first batch, I don't know how many eggs have been laid. We have ten more caterpillars in her cage right now (with 4 chrysalides); we've given quite a few away, and there are probably fifteen more caterpillars plus more eggs out in the butterfly garden - all from three dill plants and two fennel plants. Right now, I only have the black swallowtail caterpillars. So, I'll be excited when I'm able to get some more host plants. But there are a number of different butterflies that visit the garden, whereas we had virtually NO butterflies in our yard the last several years. All in all, this butterfly gardening is fun stuff.

Thank you all for your support and encouragement!

• bandjzmom
    9 years ago

Awwwww. how heartwarming. You know that is making a big impression on her. The more that we expose our kids and teach them about nature, the more likely it is that they will grow into adults who try to make a difference for nature.

Sounds like you are a booming success with the Black Swallowtails. Just keep plugging away and getting more host plants as you go along. Some Milkweed for the Monarchs, some Passionvine for the Gulf and Variegated Fritillaries, Some Senna for the yellow butterflies. I believe that Texas is the state that boasts the biggest number of butterfly species in the whole country, so the sky is really the limit for you there.~~Angie

Here is a nice list of host plants per species if you don't have it bookmarked already.
    http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/butterfly/2004041551026161.html