Houzz Logo Print
fighting8r

Releasing number 225 for the year this morning

fighting8r
12 years ago

Comments (23)

• butterflymomok
    12 years ago

That is fantastic!! Is that all one kind? Monarchs? Think I've released about 60 so far this year--that includes Pipevines, Monarchs, Variegated frits, and one female Eastern Tiger Swallowtail.

Maybe others will post their releases as well.

• MissSherry
    12 years ago

I haven't kept track of my releases, but it's no where near 225 - congrats, congrats!
    Sherry

• KC Clark - Zone 2012-6a OH
    12 years ago

Releasing 225 caterpillars is easy to do and definitely much easier than raising all of them. ;)

• fighting8r
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yeah we got tired of people asking "how many is that?" and started a spreadsheet.
    Black Swallowtail 23
    Cloudless sulphur 4
    Giant Swallowtail 17
    Great Southern White 10
    Gulf Fritillary 47
    Julia 6
    Monarch 48
    Orange barred sulphur 26
    Polydamas Swallowtail 9
    Queen 3
    White Peacock 2
    Zebra Longwing 30

Oh and on further inspection, there are a couple more that eclosed today so it's 227, for now.

And KC-you are right! LOL. Actually did stop bringing in Polys, just can't keep up with them, or should I say the pipevines can't keep up with them. We'd have a hundred of them by now.

• butterflymomok
    12 years ago

That's a nice list. You are definitely doing your part to increase the butterfly population.

• KC Clark - Zone 2012-6a OH
    12 years ago

I was teasing you because of your caterpillar graphic. :)

That is quite a varied list. Are you raising cats in January or do you start later?

• fighting8r
    Original Author
    12 years ago

KC, yes I thought you might be talking about the wandering caterpillar!
    Let's see, the release breakdown by month is
    Jan 31
    Feb 9
    Mar 20
    Apr 92
    May 63
    Jun 12

• MissSherry
    12 years ago

Those are fantastic numbers!

The butterflies thank you!

Sherry

• spaceman13
    12 years ago

225 ?!?!
    Great Googly-Moogly!
    OMG...I'm still working on #1!
    I feel like such a NOOB! LOL!
    Great job

Mark

• fighting8r
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Actually now it's 232.
    Thanks guys for the comments and the smiles!

• mboston_gw
    12 years ago

I have yet to see the first Black Swallowtail here and only 1 Zebra Longwing. We are so dry here - the only multiples we are seeing are a few Giants, Spicebush, Frits, Sulphurs. I am seeing a large number of Polys - will probably have to start removing eggs or my huge vine will be gone by the end of the month.

• fighting8r
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mary, it is new to me to have this many BST already, the past couple of years i've not seen any eggs/cats till July, maybe later June. We've had bunches already now. Reallllllyy hoping for rainy season to start though!!!

Also, do you prune your pipevine in the off season? I have neighbors with a large pipevine covering a big section of fence, but this year and last it is not putting out much new growth, has mostly old, tough foliage. I am wondering if we cut it all the way down when butterfly season is over, if it will grow more healthy next year. But since it is not mine I am afraid to recommend it to them, in case it goes wrong!

• MissSherry
    12 years ago

I haven't raised as many as you have, but I've raised a good variety of caterpillars -

1. American ladies
    2. Red admirals
    3. Question marks
    4. Viceroys
    5. Variegated fritillaries
    6. Gulf fritillaries
    7. Spicebush swallowtails
    8. Palamedes swallowtails
    9. Black swallowtails

1. Pipevine swallowtails
    2. Giant swallowtails
    3. Cloudless sulphurs
    4. Sleepy oranges
    5. Little yellows
    6. Red-spotted purples

I haven't raised any big moths this year. I haven't raised any monarchs, either, but then I usually don't get them until late summer or fall. No tiger swallowtails yet, but I usually find a few to raise each year. I'm letting a good bit of Sida grow, to hopefully raise some common checkered skippers, which I've done in the past. I've also raised silver-spotted skippers and long-tailed skippers.
    And I'd love to raise some pearl crescents or hairstreaks of any kind, but I've never found the caterpillars.
    I might make it to 20 varieties before the year's up, but 15 isn't too bad for early June!

Sherry

• susanlynne48
    12 years ago

Congrats on your releases! My goodness, I'd settle for a couple of Cabbage Whites right now.

MissSherry, do you have any Hibiscus coccinea? That's what the Gray Hairsteaks like here, and they are soooo easy to find because they only eat the flowers. If you find a bud with a hole in it, it's most likely a GH. Once the bud opens up, you can easily find the slug-like caterpillar.

Susan

• luvmybattusphilenors
    12 years ago

That great you`ve reared so many butterflies.I have pvs and they are a very adaptable species just like there cousins the polys.My a.durior grew out of control and was bout to consume half my yard then my landlord cut it down to the ground.Its growing back with a vengence,like a couple inches every week.I thought i wouldnt have pvs this year but i discovered 20 little ones the other day.They grow really fast,i think imma take a few in just the keep the numbers up.They are defenetly not an endangered or rare species.Just plant aristolochia and they will come.I plan on planting more aristolochia in a more suitable place other than the side of the house.I`ve noticed alot of promethia and tulip tree moths the last few nights.Anyone else?

• christie_sw_mo
    12 years ago

Well I have zone envy. I haven't released anything yet this year. It's too early here in Missouri. I have four Black Swallowtails and Two Eastern Tiger Swallowtails that should emerge any day now and several more that are still in larval stage. And I found one itty bitty Spicebush Swallowtail cat in a folded leaf yesterday and brought it inside. I won't catch up with you.
    I'm jealous of your Zebra Longwings. Wish we had those here.

• MissSherry
    12 years ago

No, I don't have any H. coccinea, Susan, but it sounds like something I could find a place for. I'll have to look it up, but I think that's a native hibiscus? Pineland hibiscus grows on my property, but I've never found a caterpillar of any variety on it.

Sherry

• fighting8r
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@Christie, we are way excited about the zebras, as we rarely see them, and they are our state butterfly after all! And released four more zebras today, making our total (overall) 240.

@Sherry - love the diverse list, wish we had such variety. Not complaining though.

• susanlynne48
    12 years ago

Yes, MissSherry, it is a native to your state. As I mentioned, they only eat the flowers. I don't find that detail reported in much of the info out there. The larva are very tiny, and the chrysalis is about the size of a Navy bean. So cute!

Mine gets about 6' tall maximum, but may get taller in your area. Very easy to grow, and while they perform best with a moist soil, they will also do well, once established, in a drier situation. I love the foliage and the flowers!

There is also a white flowering version 'alba'.

Susan

Here is a link that might be useful: Hibiscus coccineus

• mboston_gw
    12 years ago

I have never pruned it. Prior to the last two summers, the new growth always came in abundance, enough to feed all the Polys with no worry. The last two winters, I have had it die back so that all I had was new growth and even though lush and grew fast, it was eaten back by mid summer. Last summer, I had to pull cats off by the dozens and take them to friends who had vine, mostly in the shade, where the Polys hadn't laid eggs. This winter dieback wasn't as bad and I have lots of vine but by the numbers I have been seeing this week, I fear I will be in the same situation if I don't pull off the eggs, at least off and on all summer.

As far as cutting it back, I would try feeding it heavily first - with a granular fertilizer. With it being so dry, the liquid stuff is getting washed out so quickly with the watering that is needed. Mine really flushed out about a month ago when I did that.

Mary

• fighting8r
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Went over 400 this week. We had hoped to make 400 by year end. Now we have our sights set on 500. With the help of all the sulphurs we may make it!
    top 3:
    Monarch 89
    Orange barred sulphur 66
    Gulf frit 60

• terrene
    12 years ago

Congrats! I released 1 Spicebush swallowtail, about 10 Black swallowtails, and well over 100 Monarchs, but to be honest, I've been too busy to tally the exact number!

Got 10 swallowtails overwintering.

• fighting8r
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ah yes it does take time! My son (7 years old) keeps the list, and we put them in excel, and he was sooo excited as the number inched toward 400 and then went over! Makes me really glad we kept the list.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting