Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tom123_gw

Great Crested Flycatcher, Butterfly catcher.

Tom
9 years ago

I saw this bird swoop down and catch a sulphur the other day.
http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/great_crested_flycatcher/id

I have often seen him or her or perhaps both chasing insects and at times butterflies. Does anyone have experience with this bird? It is very beautiful and I love to watch it--no matter what I learn I'm not going to do anything to this bird, but I would like to hear if anyone else has experience with it.

Comments (11)

• MissSherry
    9 years ago

They show up here every spring, 'whoopin' it up' in the woods. I've never seen one eat a butterfly, and I hope they don't do that here!

Sherry

• gyr_falcon
    9 years ago

It never ceases to amaze me that people don't want to believe that flycatchers eat anything other than the ugly insects. :) Yes they will eat butterflies. But they also eat grasshoppers, crickets, beetles, wasps, various other insects and berries. Whether those are "good" berries or "bad" berries can be up for debate. Butterflies make up just a portion of their diet and they certainly are not the cause of decline in butterfly species.

• MissSherry
    9 years ago

I never begrudge any bird anything in its diet, including butterflies and/or moths, if they're a part of it. Fortunately for me, I've not had to witness but one butterfly about to be eaten, and I saved it from a preying mantis.

Interestingly, the butterfly was a cloudless sulphur. Maybe sulphurs taste best. :/

Sherry

• catherinet
    9 years ago

Yeah, I think we quite often forget that nature, besides being incredibly beautiful and amazing, is cruel. ("cruel" meaning doing things that we don't want it to do).

Yesterday I saw a red squirrel steal a baby bird and began to eat it. I "rescued" the baby bird, but it quickly died............and the squirrel went away hungry. It's hard having human emotions!

• Leafhead
    9 years ago

Squirrels. Ugh. Don't get me started...
    But I'd give any butterfly in the garden for a Crested Flycatcher...
    What a cool bird!! Still, it's sad seeing one of your favorite butterflies being nabbed. I once watched a Chickadee grab for an American Lady and miss. I was glad she got away, even though I love Chickadees.
    Last Summer I saw a huge Praying Mantis giving a Monarch the hairy eyeball. I didn't kill it (I think they're too cool) but I did move to relocate him. He quickly flew off and I never saw him again.

• catherinet
    9 years ago

LOL.........often times, it's hard to know who to root for!

• Leafhead
    9 years ago

Monarch: 1
    Praying Mantis: 0

• MissSherry
    9 years ago

YAY monarch!

I moved my preying mantis to the woods, where it could feed on other bugs.

Sherry

• Tom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Fortunately I haven't seen any of the huge Praying Mantis. There are videos of them on the web catching and eating hummingbirds.

• catherinet
    9 years ago

Oh......that's awful! Are those mantises in the U.S.? I hope not!

• Leafhead
    9 years ago

I'm afraid so. I've seen video of Chinese Mantids eating Hummers...So sad

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!