Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Switching Hosts

Posted by Leafhead 4b WI (johngern@gmail.com) on
Mon, Jun 9, 14 at 10:32

Is it safe to switch Monarch cats from Common to Swamp Milkweed? Purple Milkweed? And at which instar? (My guess is 5th??)
Also, is it safe to switch BST cats from Dill to Fennel?

John

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Switching Hosts

Hi
It is fine with both at any time but I think the monarchs can't switch from A.tuberosa to swamp milkweed because of the toxicity level of swamp milkweed is so high compared to A.tuberosa. Right now I have three black swallowtails and I have golden alexzamder rue dill parsley and fennel in the same cage and they all eat it. So it is probability ok I just got a swamp milkweed from a friend so I have always had common so you should be ok.

o

Thanx for the info :) I think I'll keep Monarch cats on syriaca just to be safe, but switch my BST cats to Fennel slowly when they're at #5 I still have the original Dill plant right next to my Fennel in the veggie garden, out of reach of critters. I'll let them work that down to zero and march onto the Fennel. Last year I switched them to carrots and they took longer to mature, plus it was the last flight of the season. They spent a week in their 5th instar.
I still have four BST eggs due to hatch tomorrow.

John

o

I think you can switch host plants at any time, assuming it's a legitimate host plant. If the two plants are very different, the cats might not like the new plant and might not eat it.

I feed my palamedes swallowtails sassafras all the time, and they don't seem to know the difference. You can feed spicebush swallowtails sassafras or spicebush without them even knowing it, but then these plants are all in the laurel family, closely related.

Sherry

o

I'll try one or two on my Purple Milkweed, which seems to be very similar to Common. I still have one more Common Milkweed to "work", so I'll stick a couple there. I'm afraid to place them back where I found them due to regular spraying. I happened upon these between spraying, which I believe is monthly. (They always place little warning flags after spraying)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here