Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hemaris thysbe

Posted by bob_71 z7 MD (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 23, 10 at 11:25

Another first time (this year) visitor yesterday. This clearwing hummingbird moth was intent on staying in the shade so it took me a while to get my settings fairly close but this was my only acceptable photo.

Bob

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hemaris thysbe

Is it thysbe or diffinis? Hemaris diffinis is the snowberry clearwing moth. Below is a link for a good discussion of the differences.
-Elisabeth

Here is a link that might be useful: Bugguide net discussion of clearwings

o
RE: Hummingbird Moth

Elisabeth, this is one case where I would have been better off doing away with taxonomic identification and just using good old country boy ID. I googled the clearwing hummingbird moth before posting and the single species was in almost all cases the Hemaris thysbe. Discussions of diffinis (along with many others in the BUG GUIDE) are technical beyond my comprehension.

I apologize if I have improperly ID'd a subject. It is not my intent to add any confusion to what can be an intriguing study.

Bob

o

No apologies necessary. Add IDs at will :)! The great thing about butterflies and moths is that there is always something to learn. I like to look at the pictures to work on my own Id'ing skills. Others like to learn about the plants the bugs are visiting. Some just like to look at the pictures. There is something for everyone. Your pictures are great. Keep them coming!
-Elisabeth

o

Beautiful picture, Bob!
Sherry

o

It does look like Hermaris diffins. The difference is the color of the body. H. thysbe is black and H. diffins is rust colored.

You can click on "info" and it will give you information about the life cycle and host plants.

I think I've raised this one. I found it on Honeysuckle.

I'm into plants and the animals that use them. I find that there is such a one-on-one relationship that you can learn more about the animal, if you study the plants and habitat that they use.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hemaris diffinis

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here