Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The guardian of my garden...............

Posted by catherinet z5 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 30, 11 at 11:49

I have a guardian of my garden this year........a very aggressive wood pewee. I see him catching moths all the time. I hope he leaves some. Do the ones that lay eggs that become tomato hornworms only fly at night, while he/she's asleep? I hope so!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The guardian of my garden...............

Yes, Catherine, tomato/tobacco hornworms become night-flying-only sphinx moths. Well, actually I've seen them flying in the VERY late evening, just as it's going dark, but I don't think your wood pewee will get one - the moth is as big as the bird! :)
Sherry

o
RE: The guardian of my garden...............

Thanks Sherry. This little guy is fearless! It has almost run into us when we're in the garden. And it sits on the fence, less than 2' away from us. Maybe we look like moths?
:)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here