Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluebirdbabe

will weed and feed hurt the milkweed??

bluebirdbabe
12 years ago

My husband put weed N feed on the flower garden before the milkweed came up. Will this hurt the milkweed for the monarch caterpillars??

Thanks,

Karen

Comments (3)

• docmom_gw
    12 years ago

It depends how the weed and feed works. If it needs to be absorbed into the leaves, then you may be OK. I'd worry about any other plants in the garden that may have already been up when he sprayed. My understanding is that Weed and Feed type products will attack any broad leaf plant. So, basically anything but grasses/lawn. If the product is one that absorbs into the ground and attacks the root system, then you might be in trouble. I've been amazed at how sensitive nearby plants are to what I thought was a controlled/focused treatment of a single plant with Round Up. I guess even a slight breeze can carry a light misting of chemical much further than you realize. Use great care when applying any chemicals.

Martha

• bluebirdbabe
    Original Author
    12 years ago

it wasn't sprayed. It was sprinkled on the ground and it did not hurt my flowers and the milk weed has come up looking very strong. I think it is the kind that gets absorbed by the roots. So I guess I better be safe than sorry and get the milk weed from the back field right??

• HM
    2 years ago

I know this thread is old, but I'm wondering what your outcome was? I have milkweed that's popped up in the grass and we've been nurturing it into a large plant for the Monarch's. We haven't put down the Weed and Feed yet, so hoping to figure this out. I don't want to kill the plant and I don't want to harm the Monarchs.