Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need some help with identifying random plants, please

Posted by monkeybelle 6B (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 29, 11 at 11:52

I have 2 random plants that I am desparately hoping are not weeds! I also can't figure out how to upload a picture into a post, so I am failing at both gardening and technology today! I'm including a link...

I planted a ton of both butterfly weed, and zinnia seeds well over 2 months ago but neither one showed up to the party. Might the plant in the first pic be butterfly weed? It looks large in the picture but its actually about 4 inches tall. The second could be zinnia? (It's growing near an already-established zinnia that I bought after I gave up.)

The third picture is just me showing off my first-time butterfly garden. We had a rough start with animals eating everything but seem to be picking up now!

Any ideas/thoughts/feedback would be greatly appreciated! I tried looking up weeds online to try to figure out if I should just yank them out but its a pretty hopeless adventure if you don't know the name of what kind of weed it might me! Thanks so much in advance!

Here is a link that might be useful: Unknown plants

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need some help with identifying random plants, please

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 29, 11 at 12:13

Photo 1 is Asclepias tuberosa, aka butterfly milkweed. Photo 2 looks like a milkweed, but not one I recognize. I would give it time, and see if it flowers.

o

The second picture is a zinnia.
Your garden is lovely!
Sherry

o

Thank you both so much! And exactly what I was hoping to hear, too! My husband will be happy to hear, as I let him pick the zinnia seeds...although he made it a mission to pick the "loudest" color he could find. I'm sure the red and white striped flowers are going to be an interesting addition!

o

Your garden is lovely. Welcome to your new obsession, butterfly gardening. It definitely is a worthwhile hobby and very satisfying. Hope you get lots of butterfly visitors and they lay lots of eggs for you.

Mechelle

o

Do butterflies like zinnias? Which butterflies, and are there favorite cultivars of zinnia they prefer?

o

MS, Here is a link to an old thread about butterflies and zinnias Tony

Here is a link that might be useful: Which zinnias attract butterflies

o

I am certainly hoping for many "visitors"...there were a good number of butterflies that passed through my yard last year without any gardens, so I really just wanted to convince them to hang out a little longer this year! My work hours are cut back for the summer so I need some sort of hobby to keep me occupied until September! I also love taking pictures and am looking forward to some great shots.

Everything here is pretty much trial and error based on internet research...I came across a couple sites that claimed zinnias are good for the local butterflies here in south Jersey. We'll see!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here