Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christie_sw_mo

I need a photo of swallowtails on buttonbush

christie_sw_mo
12 years ago

Does someone have a good photo I could enlarge and print out of a swallowtail/swallowtails on buttonbush? I need something that shows the buttonbush flowers well and something I can legally use for our butterfly festival coming up here.

Comments (8)

• MissSherry
    12 years ago

Most of my buttonbush pictures are of tiger swallowtails, because they're the ones most attracted to it. Here's a giant swallowtail and a tiger swallowtail -
    {{gwi:454943}}
    Here's a pipevine swallowtail -
    {{gwi:454942}}
    Here's a yellow female tiger swallowtail, from the side -
    {{gwi:454951}}
    And yet another tiger, this one a male -
    {{gwi:454941}}
    And here's a male palamedes swallowtail -
    {{gwi:472335}}
    'Hope you can use one of these.
    Sherry

• roper2008
    12 years ago

Nice pictures. I've never seen buttonbush before.

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you Sherry! You're so sweet to dig those up for me. The first photo shows the blooms really well so that would be a great one to use ... or maybe I'll use more than one. I won't get a good photo if I use my own printer. I need to figure out the best way to save it on a thumb drive or send it to Walmart or something. Advice from computer geeks welcome.

I planted a row of three buttonbushes along the side of my yard this year but of course they're still too young to bloom. I'm hoping mine will do a good job attracting Tiger Swallowtails and Giants too. I have host plants for both but see very few.

• MissSherry
    12 years ago

Buttonbushes bring in tiger swallowtails for miles around! Even this year, a poor year for tigers, I finally saw about a dozen on the bush one day. Other days, there were fewer, but it's still the favorite nectar plant for tiger swallowtails - too bad it doesn't bloom continually, like lantana!
    Sherry

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm having a good year for Tiger Swallowtails here. I've been checking my Tulip tree for more than 10 years and had never found a single cat in all those years, and only once found an egg that never hatched. This year I've found 20 eggs and cats so far. I would've been excited to find even one. Wish my Buttonbushes would bloom for them but I don't think there's a chance this year.

• bob_71
    12 years ago

I like them all, Miss Sherry, but the male Tiger is a real knockout photo!

Bob

• gardenfullofswallowtails
    8 years ago

MissSherry, is that a cultivar of buttonbush you have?

• MissSherry
    8 years ago

No, it's not a cultivar. I took a cutting from a roadside buttonbush growing not far from here, rooted it, and planted it on a wet site on my property. So, it's entirely local.

I've heard of a cultivar called 'Sputnik' though, that's supposed to make bigger flowers.

Sherry

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County