Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My 1st Black Swallowtail Eclosure of the Year!

Posted by bandjzmom 7 NWGeorgia (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 12, 13 at 12:22

Isn't he just awesome? He was so happy to fly away into a yard filled with blooms that were planted for him!! :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My 1st Black Swallowtail Eclosure of the Year!

Congratulations! What a beauty.

My black swallowtail is in his fifth instal, and I think he's getting ready to pupate (but he hasn't regurgitated the food yet). He's been wandering all over the place though, so I think he's getting close.

This is my very first butterfly (other than the painted lady kit I did with my son which is how I got hooked onto butterflies in the first place), which I found in my garden. I've been checking daily for more cats or eggs, but so far, he's my one and only.

And I worry constantly that he's not going to make it. He spent over a day during the last molt, and I was constantly worried that that was the end for him. So glad to see your butterfly doing well!

o

By the way, has anyone seen twitching by a caterpillar? He's perfectly still on a stem, and then he rocks a tiny bit lengthwise. It almost looks like he fell asleep and then caught himself. He's been doing that all day today.

o

Thanks sandpapertongue. Yes, they do twitch. When they are getting ready to molt, they will become very still for awhile until that happens. Just leave them be. When it is ready to pupate, your cat will purge and then attach itself to something and scrunch itself up like an accordian. Once it has attached, it will be about 24 hrs before it actually pupates and becomes a chrysalis. Just keep a clean and dry container with enough fresh food, and you should be fine. You might want to add a small upright stick inside. Sometimes, they prefer them for attachment. Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here