Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_littlerock_ar

Milkweed plugs at reasonable price

Mary Leek
10 years ago

I recently purchased some plugs of ASCLEPIAS VERTICILLATA aka Whorled Milkweed/horsetail milkweed. I have no personal interest in this company, just passing along my experience in case it's helpful to someone else looking for milkweed.

The plugs were priced right so thought I'd try an order of 12 plugs. The top growth had been pinched back to abt 3 inches and given the heat during shipment, didn't look great but the plugs were extremely well rooted. I wish I'd taken a photo of a plug before I potted them but it was 95 degrees that late afternoon when the package arrived and all I could think of was getting them into new pots, spritz'ed and placed into the shade. They've recovered nicely (I've had them for 5 days) and they have already begun to put out new growth. The soil around one plug had dislodged during shipment and the plug was pretty much bare root. Not expecting much, I went ahead and planted it into a small pot and it's already putting up new growth from the base.

Each plug of milkweed is priced at $1.25 to $1.50 per plug, depending on variety of milkweed, and my order was $10.00 for shipping. Although I don't know for certain, my guess is the shipping fee would cover a larger number of plugs. You are presented with shipping costs before you commit to your order. My local nurseries don't offer much in the way of potted milkweed so very pleased with opportunity to purchase plugs at a reasonable price.

I plan to group these plants in threes or fours, so I'll have a nice display next year. They reportedly bloom later than the varieties of milkweed I currently grow, which should give me a longer season of milkweed bloom.

Mary

plugs potted into small growing pots

{{gwi:484159}}

new growth already showing at base of 'bare rooted' plug

{{gwi:484161}}

shipping box and plug tray - box abt size of shoe box

{{gwi:484162}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Milkweed plugs

Comment (1)

Sponsored