Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
@imabirdnut - Tomato Cage Rearing Container Photo

Posted by butterflymomok (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 14, 12 at 12:36

Hi all,

I just got reminded I needed to post this photo. I already had it on Photobucket so . . . for those of you who want to make your own easy rearing containers, here is the tomato cage rearing container that I came up with after putting together some suggestions from other people. The paint strainers from Lowes are machine washable. You trim the prongs on the tomato cage and bend in the 3 prongs to make the top of the container. Then cover with the paint strainer. They come in packages of two for a little over $2. Use the small tomato cages. I put food on paper plate for ease of cleaning.

Rearing cage

Great butterfly-raisin' to all of you.

Sandy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: @imabirdnut - Tomato Cage Rearing Container Photo

I think my favorite thing about this cage is that I can put an entire milkweed plant in there and really let them munch without having to gather leaves everyday and it is fun to watch them crawl all over the plant.

o

Great idea! Thank you! I'll be using it soon.

I usually make a hoop house out of old blind slats and tulle from the fabric store.

How do you keep the cats from getting out around the bottom?

o

You put an aluminum pizza pan under it, The cage will fit very well and it is so easy to clean. I got my pizza pans at 3 for $2.95, the entire set up costs less than 10 bucks :)

o

NaturesFolly has offered a great addition to the cage. I normally just set the whole setup on a stack of newspapers which gives enough it creates a pretty tight seal.

Sandy

o

I wish I could take credit for the pizza pans but it was in the original post :)

Here is a link that might be useful: original cage instructions

o

I totally forgot about that. Newspapers work almost as well. : ) I ran out of pizza pans a long time ago.

Sandy

o

You can get pizza pans at dollar stores, 3 for $1......very cheap!

Sandy, great setup!

Susan

o

Sandy...Thanks for posting the picture!!!
I had gone to our local Lowes & they were out of 5 gallon paint strainers & then I forgot about it!!! I will be making some & love the idea of the cheap pizza pans for a bottom! I look forward to raising a lot more BFs!
I have only brought in BST cats & am leaving the PVSTs out but have moved several from my dwindling A.fimbriata plants to my 2 big A.tomentosas.
So far...my milkweeds are thriving but no queen or monarch cats.
OBTW...do queens get OE or only monarchs...do you know?
Thanks again for the posting this...now I get it!!! LOL
Take care,
Lila

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here