Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brown eyed susan

Posted by monkeybelle 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 29, 12 at 12:53

What I believe is a brown eyed susan magically appeared in my garden in South Jersey. Thoughts on whether I should keep it or toss it?

-Sandy.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brown eyed susan

Do you have Silvery Checkerspots or Gorgone Checkerspot or Bordered Patch butterflies? It is listed as a host plant for all 3.
I have annual "Brown Eyed" Susans as well as Rudbeckia hirta 'Goldstrum' that I have had cats on for the last month. It also is a nectar source...so I guess it is up to you?
I have already collected dried flower heads & will scatter seeds in my new meadow.
Lila

o

As far as I know, I don't get any of those. I ended up just moving them to see what happened. I guess this answers my question!

o

I just can't bring myself to pull up anything that might attract more butterflies to my yard. I'm glad to see you kept it (that's what I would have done as well!) I'm still experimenting with what works here and what doesn't... I do have a salvia (hot lips) that is probably going to go bye-bye this fall. It has kept the carpenter bees happy, but that's it, and I've got plenty of other stuff for them. I'd rather use that space for something that will make my butterflies happy!

~Laura

o

I'm in the same boat. I have such limited space that everything needs to earn its keep! I am glad I kept it. I felt so bad when I dug it out that I just separated it and dug some new holes. Not looking too healthy, but still flowering. I can't blame it, I'm not looking too healthy in this heat wave, either!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here