Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spicebush Swallowtail and Red-Spotted Purples Emerge

Posted by misssherry Z8/9SE MS (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 8, 14 at 13:33

My first spicebush swallowtail of the 2014 season emerged this morning. I tried to get his picture while he was still in the cage, but he was real anxious to leave and flew out before I could take it. I saw him a few minutes later looking for some sun amongst the leaves -

photo MaleSBSTinLeaves_zps0bf29e7d.jpg

There are still about a dozen chrysalides in the cages, with two late instar cats yet to pupate, so I should be releasing them for a while.

My third red-spotted purple had emerged and was flying frantically around the cage when I went out to the porch the first time this morning. She was huge and had more than the usual number of red spots on the end of her forewing, looking like the one from last year that so impressed me. I assume she's a she because of her size, but i suppose it's possible these extra-spot RSPs are just bigger, I don't know. I got her picture -

photo 2014BigRedRSP_zps7917f6ff.jpg

I've released two red-spotted purples already, the first one smallish, probably a male, the next one bigger, maybe a male, maybe a female, but both only having two red spots. One of them was flying around the porch yesterday. I have an idea I'll be finding RSP eggs/cats pretty soon!

Sherry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spicebush Swallowtail and Red-Spotted Purples Emerge

Beautiful!

o

Sherry

I am loving the rich saturated colors in your picts (as usual)

I have been seeing Red-Spotted Purples,but no Spicebush
Yet for the Summer brood.
My husband saw a new Tiger Swallowtail out 2 days ago
On the compost pile behind the potting shed.

DD

o

Thanks, y'all! I love taking their pictures and posting them!

I counted my spicebush swallowtail chrysalides, and there are 14 more to go!

Sherry

o

So beautiful! Another butterfly I only get to see while traveling. Allow me a few minutes to get over my range envy... ;-)

o

So pretty! I hope to have RSPs someday!

o

Fabulous pix!
RSPs are my favorite butterfly up here, next to the Monarch.

John

o

Gorgeous!!!!!

o

This morning three spicebush swallowtails have emerged, two females and one male!

Spicebush Swallowtails

Males - 2
Females - 2

I'll edit this post as things change.

Sherry

o

It rained most of all day yesterday, so the three that emerged yesterday stayed in the cage. I released them this morning.

Here's one of the females -

photo FemaleSBSTonRAus_zpsc030f615.jpg

Sherry

o

The last of the five red-spotted purples emerged this morning, and I just recently released her. This was another big one, so I'm pretty sure she was a female, but she didn't have any more than the usual number of red spots on her forewing, topside.

Another spicebush swallowtail has emerged, but she's still in the cage, since she only recently emerged.

The spicebush swallowtail count -

Females - 3
Males - 2

I found two little spicebush cats. I couldn't imagine where they came from, but then I saw a VERY scraggly, old female spicebush swallowtail laying eggs on the sassafras in the garden. I don't know how this poor thing managed to fly, but she's leaving her legacy for when's she's gone. I brought the two little cats in to raise. I also found a late instar cat that I missed. It's just as big as the two remaining big cats - I sure hope it's not parasitized.
Anyway, I brought it in, too.

My first palamedes swallowtail of the year emerged this morning, and I just released her. She's BIG and has the red smudge on her inner hindwings, also the blue spots, so I'm pretty certain she's a female -

photo 2014FemalePal_zps30de4eaf.jpg

Sherry

o

Males - 4

Females - 7

Sherry

This post was edited by misssherry on Sat, Jun 21, 14 at 14:34

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here