Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
OT - Mississippi Kite

Posted by misssherry Z8/9SE MS (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 5, 14 at 13:39

I know this is the Butterfly Forum, but I'm excited, and I've already posted these pictures on a bird forum.

As you may remember from one of my long posts, Mississippi kites have apparently made our area home in recent years. They've been here since spring, I hear them every day. The only time I usually see them is when they circle in the air saying Peeeeeeeeeeeeeee dudududu!

I was out in the garden with my new, long zoom camera waiting for a butterfly to photograph, when a large bird perched high up in my neighbor's pecan tree. I knew it had to be either a Mississippi kite or a yellow-billed cuckoo, another bird I'd like to photograph. I made some pictures, and it's an adult male Mississippi kite -

photo MSKite_zpsbc91fd47.jpg

photo MSKite2_zps0e091648.jpg

Thank you for looking at my pictures!

Sherry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: OT - Mississippi Kite

Lucky you to have such great birds nearby! I have only gotten a couple of quick views of Mississippi Kites during travels. White-tailed kites frequent my area, although they are getting harder to find since many of the open fields have become houses. I'm a lapsed birder [conclusion of a twisted mathematical formula revolving around the number of interests and time ;-) ] I wish GW had a broad birding forum; I loved seeing your OT photos. Hope you will share some of your other bird photos, too.

o

Terrific pictures, Sherry. It is a very impressive bird.

We see kites here in Central Florida, but I have no idea if they are the same birds. They are so graceful in flight and their forked tails make them very noticeable.

I have never seen one perched like yours. Great capture!

o

I'd bet the Kite wanted to check out your garden. I have only seen them on the wing in Mexico at a great distance away.

o

Yes, I'll continue to share pictures, including bird photos, Gyr Falcon. Nature is so wonderful!

Tom, what you're describing may be the swallowtail kites. We have them here, too, but I've only seen them here and there, they haven't made my property their home. The swallowtail kites are a good bit bigger than these Mississippi kites, and they live and nest by bodies of water, chiefly rivers. I've seen them several times near the Leaf River.

Runmede, according to what I've read, they eat a lot of insects, hopefully, this doesn't include butterflies.

Sherry

o

I've got a row of blueberry bushes, and now that the berries are ripening, a lot of birds will be easier to photograph. This male summer tanager had already gotten one blueberry and was looking at another one -

photo MaleSummerTanager_zps8f8405c9.jpg

Sherry

o

Both pictures are just amazing Sherry, I would consider them quite exotic if I spotted either one in my area..
And, the camera is amazing....
Debra

o

Sherry

What nice picts!I love to keep up with "Where the birds are!"

I saw a kite once(swallowtail)up in the sky;we were driving
Down to Florida from south AL and were either very close to
Or just across the AL-FLA state line.

A few years ago my sister brought one of her education birds
Over to my house(an Osprey)abt a matter concerning jesses.
My husband and I both got a turn holding the raptor on our wrists
While she took our picture.
It was such fun!

Once in a while I have a summer tanager visit for a few weeks
Especially when all the Huckleberry bushes are loaded with
Ripe berries.

DD

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here