Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
misssherryg

OT - Mississippi Kite

MissSherry
9 years ago

I know this is the Butterfly Forum, but I'm excited, and I've already posted these pictures on a bird forum.

As you may remember from one of my long posts, Mississippi kites have apparently made our area home in recent years. They've been here since spring, I hear them every day. The only time I usually see them is when they circle in the air saying Peeeeeeeeeeeeeee dudududu!

I was out in the garden with my new, long zoom camera waiting for a butterfly to photograph, when a large bird perched high up in my neighbor's pecan tree. I knew it had to be either a Mississippi kite or a yellow-billed cuckoo, another bird I'd like to photograph. I made some pictures, and it's an adult male Mississippi kite -

{{gwi:485682}}

{{gwi:485686}}

Thank you for looking at my pictures!

Sherry

Comments (7)

• gyr_falcon
    9 years ago

Lucky you to have such great birds nearby! I have only gotten a couple of quick views of Mississippi Kites during travels. White-tailed kites frequent my area, although they are getting harder to find since many of the open fields have become houses. I'm a lapsed birder [conclusion of a twisted mathematical formula revolving around the number of interests and time ;-) ] I wish GW had a broad birding forum; I loved seeing your OT photos. Hope you will share some of your other bird photos, too.

• Tom
    9 years ago

Terrific pictures, Sherry. It is a very impressive bird.

We see kites here in Central Florida, but I have no idea if they are the same birds. They are so graceful in flight and their forked tails make them very noticeable.

I have never seen one perched like yours. Great capture!

• runmede
    9 years ago

I'd bet the Kite wanted to check out your garden. I have only seen them on the wing in Mexico at a great distance away.

• MissSherry
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, I'll continue to share pictures, including bird photos, Gyr Falcon. Nature is so wonderful!

Tom, what you're describing may be the swallowtail kites. We have them here, too, but I've only seen them here and there, they haven't made my property their home. The swallowtail kites are a good bit bigger than these Mississippi kites, and they live and nest by bodies of water, chiefly rivers. I've seen them several times near the Leaf River.

Runmede, according to what I've read, they eat a lot of insects, hopefully, this doesn't include butterflies.

Sherry

• MissSherry
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I've got a row of blueberry bushes, and now that the berries are ripening, a lot of birds will be easier to photograph. This male summer tanager had already gotten one blueberry and was looking at another one -

{{gwi:485691}}

Sherry

• Debra Vessels
    9 years ago

Both pictures are just amazing Sherry, I would consider them quite exotic if I spotted either one in my area..
    And, the camera is amazing....
    Debra

• dragonflydee
    9 years ago

Sherry

What nice picts!I love to keep up with "Where the birds are!"

I saw a kite once(swallowtail)up in the sky;we were driving
    Down to Florida from south AL and were either very close to
    Or just across the AL-FLA state line.

A few years ago my sister brought one of her education birds
    Over to my house(an Osprey)abt a matter concerning jesses.
    My husband and I both got a turn holding the raptor on our wrists
    While she took our picture.
    It was such fun!

Once in a while I have a summer tanager visit for a few weeks
    Especially when all the Huckleberry bushes are loaded with
    Ripe berries.

DD

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA